DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Manouche In the Style of Wawau Adler DVD

1235»

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    As I do hope to be able to rhythm jam at upcoming fests, any suggestions for getting standards "under the belt" in the absence of direct learning?
    What I do is make a playlist of the most common tunes with clearly recorded versions, I mostly use Bireli, Angelo, Tchavolo. Learn the songs either by ear, charts or video, memorize them and throw away the paper if there's any, then playalong with the recordings everyday for a while until I really "own" them, then repeat with a new set of tunes.
    This is really good for rhythm, endurance and repertoire, Can you play along with an entire CD?
    It's also a very enjoyable way to practice.

Another way to do it is what I suggested earlier, put on Wawau's DVD and playalong with it following Denis' rhythm, you'll get more than 30 very common tunes with gypsy chord voicings.

Good luck!
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Great suggestions, thanks Harry. I just completed a wonderful, fairly marathon day with Denis's accompaniment DVD, and feel like some things are coming home to roost (until tomorrow... :lol: ).

I think the Wawau DVD will arrive tomorrow or Tuesday (thanks again, WColsher, for the nod here, as well) - great suggestion on using it like this, for repertoire. I am extremely visual-balanced in my learning style so this definitely hits home. I also watch youtube stuff, as much as I can...do you have some other suggestions for good video visuals? (I have Bireli's Gypsy Project/Live at Vienne - and love it....would love to go to that festival. Some nice shots, too).

What I think I am missing most is ear training - I am starting to be able to hear the differences in recorded material between, say, m7, dim. 7, m6, m 6/9, for instance, but only starting. As it stands I cannot yet listen to a given tune, and tease out key, chord progression, or the rest. My guess is the answer is the same here, as any experiential thing - lots of miles of music to listen to.

Many thanks again.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited July 2009 Posts: 3,319
    Denis and Wayne,

Thanks for the follow up replies.

I find that lately I have been using published tabs less, listening more, and I can pick up the licks a little faster now when transcribing as I get more experience.

The more stuff I transcribe the more I start to recognize what they are doing and the easier it is to figure out. At this point I'm working on some of Django's solos and, as I said before, in the future I hope to be able to pick up some of the ideas off of the In the Style of... dvd's.

BTW, I have and enjoy all of your instructional dvds.

Thanks again
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    The DVD arrived today - just cursorily passed through it, as I am still in the midst of Denis's accompaniment DVD - but man, this Wawau DVD is a quality piece of work! The wealth of repertoire (and yes, Denis, to hear and see your rhythm playing is such a great help, even at my "first rung" stage), the clarity of Wawau's point of view, techniques, playing. Can't wait to exploit the DVD.

Many thanks, Denis, and Wayne, for such a top-shelf work. I've got the 4-set of improv. techniques coming, and will look forward to more of the "In the Style of..." series. Any sense when the Stochelo DVD will be coming out?

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.