DjangoBooks.com

Fapy Lafertin

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Tele295 wrote:
    Paganini wrote:
    The 4 Waso albums are the best he ever recorded. the combination of Koen de Cauter en Fapy Lafertin is fantastic. The ambiance is so warm on these recordings you can hardly find that today anymore. Get those records if you can! On one of them he plays this brilliant valse de bamboula about 1/10 of the speed of how it is mostly played today :D

Agreed. I'd love to have a Waso box set.

Moi aussi. Anyone?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Add my name to the list
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Encore une personne! I had a cassette with two of the Waso LP:s, but it's not working anymore. I'd love to buy those records on cd, please make a box!
    Please, o muse, do deliver us this gift. I promise I will use it generously.

And while you're at it, please send everything and anything to do with Martin Limberger.
    -Paul

• scotscot Virtuoso
    There are actually two different groups of recordings by Waso - first the old ones with Fapy, Koen de Kauter and Vivi Limberger. This is early djangocentric music. Then there are others with Koen de Kauter and various other people which are not anything you could call gypsy jazz. These are mostly in Koen's idiosyncratic and original style which draws from many sources, probably of little interest here.

A quick look through the cassette bunker turned up 5 of the old Waso records on C90, dating from the late 70 and early 80, and I know there is other similar material in other boxes. Listening to them, they have a kind of sweet and laid-back feel, nothing like modern "gypsy jazz" - like most recordings from that era - wonderful music! The fidelity isn't that great, but so what? These records are an important part of this music's history.

Unfortunately my old cassette player has given up for good - one transport is dead, the other has so much flutter in it that it's not worth using - and I can't digitize right now. I have a lot of old/private recordings on cassette that I need to digitize, but between work, family, and my various musical and motorcycle restoration projects, I'm swamped - I just don't have time to do it. So if anyone in N America wants to step up and volunteer to digitize some real rarities, starting with these Waso cassettes, PM me. We can certainly work something out that will be to everyone's benefit .
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    HI Scot. Thanks for the info about Waso. It turns out this subject about Waso recordings has been discussed before on Djangobooks -- just a few months ago in October in fact -- and nicksansome provided the following link to Waso recordings from long-unavailable LPs. Definitely some good stuff there! (Thanks NIck!) AE

http://gypsyjazz.sugarinthegourd.com/WASO/
    Thanks, Eddy! And thanks Scot for this info! - from the links in Eddy's post - guys, which would be the original lineup, featuring Fapy?

Just came across this. Great, fellas!
    -Paul

From Djangostation, here's what I have. Among the links Eddy referred us to, I have Fapy in on:

WASO_Live_Vol_1 (Year is uncertain - still trying to work this one out, with Eddy)
    Live_at_Gringos - 1976
    Rommages_feat_Jacques Mercier, Fapy - 1977
    WASO_Gipsy_Swing_Vol_4 - 1979
    Live_in_laren - 1980
    WASO_Gipsy_Swing_Vol_5 - 1983

Djangostation shows Epitaph Pour Django as:

'85
    Koen de Cauter : guitare et chant
    Bill Greenow : clarinette, saxophones
    Vivi Limberger : guitare
    Michel Verstraeten : contrebasse

So I'm uncertain here.

I'll be listening to all of these - but Scot or Eddy, is it Live 1, Rommages, Gipsy Swing 4 & 5 - is this the period you would classify as the "early" stuff, before veering off into other experimentation?
    -Paul

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Digitization is resolved.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Lot's of New material for my "Ears" which have just gotten BIGGER!!!

Many THANKS

Hope those wonderful sounds make it to my hands quickly.

I Love the tunes being sung in French.

pickitjohn in South & Central Texas

anyone else near Corpus, Austin, or San Antonio