DjangoBooks.com

Les Paul, Guitar Innovator, Dies at 94

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    i had the pleasure of performing together with les in 2006. what a great musician, innovator and human being!
    regards andreas
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    sad news indeed.

.... And another direct link to Django gone...
    Yes there must be very few (if any) left now.

the only one i can think of is beryl davis. though, i'm not very knowledgeable about these things like yourself.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    ...the only one i can think of is beryl davis. though, i'm not very knowledgeable about these things like yourself.
    It is sadly difficult to keep track of who has died and who has not and just a bit depressing. There are certainly people still around who saw Django play and even met him but those who knew him reasonably well have pretty much gone.

I know a couple of years ago that Daidy Davis-Boyer the secretary of the Hot Club of France was still alive and lucid but I have lost track of what happened to her since. She went onto have a successful film making career and can be seen below (right) with Django and Josette Dayde.

1941djangojosettedaydedc.th.jpg

I think the only person who actually recorded with him left other than Beryl Davis is Coleridge Goode.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls

I think the only person who actually recorded with him left other than Beryl Davis is Coleridge Goode.

I think Martial Solal,who also recorded with Django, is still with us as well.
    Stu
    stubla wrote:
    Stu
    Yes you are right. I'd forgotten about him. There may be some other more obscure people he recorded with still around.
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    stubla wrote:
    Stu
    Yes you are right. I'd forgotten about him. There may be some other more obscure people he recorded with still around.

Maurice Vander?
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    There's a drummer up here, Hans Waecker, who sits in with my band sometimes, who played with Django in Paris during the war. Pretty sure he did not record.

Mike
    marciero wrote:
    There's a drummer up here, Hans Waecker, who sits in with my band sometimes, who played with Django in Paris during the war. Pretty sure he did not record.

Mike
    Does he have any interesting stories about Django?
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Typical.....les Paul dies and who does the BBC interview about him...Johnny Marr and the Manic Street Preachers guitarist--barely any mention that Les Paul was a great guitarist in his own right and one of the few U.S guitarists to be directly influenced by django
    So i wonder who will get Les Pauls Selmer that Django gave him? and will they also inherit the soft gigbag he kept it in?
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    I was wondering that. And also all the other stuff in his huge amazing garage..... a proper treasure trove for musos, that place...