DjangoBooks.com

Les Paul, Guitar Innovator, Dies at 94

13»

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    pinkgary wrote:
    I was wondering that. And also all the other stuff in his huge amazing garage..... a proper treasure trove for musos, that place...

Excellent biographical piece on him last night, including healthy sections on his relationship with Django, his musical partnership with his wife, Mary Ford, his music itself and his drive to innovation, in both music and the means to make it. The sections playing with B.B. King and other titans, the walk through this garage, his genius as a musician and inventor - wonderful show.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    What an incredible guy. Starting when I was a teenager, my friend and I saw him play on many a monday night at Fat Tuesdays. We were absolutely floored by his playing... his voice so unmistakeable and unique. He was also very funny and a great storyteller. We were mesmerized and it began my love affair with jazz guitar.

He graciously signed my tobacco sunburst Les Paul standard and I'll treasure it forever.

BTW, we were also stunned by Lou Pallo, his rhythm guitarist. That guy threw down chords with such ease and grace and seemed like a star in his own role as a supporting musician... something which no doubt set me up to love the similar role in gypsy jazz.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • Mac HackMac Hack San Diego, CANew
    I got to see him at the Iridium a few years back.
    "On apprend tous les jours." - Stéphane Grappelli
  • harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
    marciero wrote:
    There's a drummer up here, Hans Waecker, who sits in with my band sometimes, who played with Django in Paris during the war. Pretty sure he did not record.

Mike

There's also Marian McPartland. I've seen photo of her and her husband hanging with Django when he was here in '46. I wonder if anyone ever asked her about that encounter.
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Bye bye Les, we'll miss you.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    If I remember well, Toots Thieleman met Django and surely Franco Cerri played with him one night, here in Milan.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Here is Les talking briefly about Django and showing a Selmer guitar he says Django gave him.

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Django also gave him that pick..
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/