DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Academy

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Dave,

I sent you 2 emails and got no reply, I realize this is not the support vehicle for your site, but I did send emails to you, so I'll ask 1 of the questions here:
    Are these lessons closed captioned?

Reason I ask, is I'm hearing impaired and it's difficult to understand the voices of folks. The music comes through, but the explanations give me trouble.

Thanks,
  • Dear JazzDawg,

I replied twice via the messaging service from this site.

Here is the information you require. All of the lessons filmed in HD from Lollo Meier are captioned as he is speaking in Dutch. Lollo has filmed some additional lessons at home and these do not have captions but I will be happy to transcribe them for you.

Fapy's lessons are not captioned as he is speaking in English, but again I will be happy to transcribe them for you should you choose to subscribe.

Best regards
    Dave
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Thanks for the update. I never got the messages, so I appreciate you taking the time to answer. The site looks really nice, and I'm looking into the subscriptions. Appreciate all of the effort.
  • Here is a link to a free lesson from gypsyjazzacademy.com by Denis Chang for all users at Djangobooks.

Denis has transcribed one of Lollo Meier's solo guitar pieces Pepe's Dream from one of the performances on our site and constructed a lesson to enable even beginning players to extract some value from this challenging solo.

http://www.gypsyjazzacademy.com/content ... enis-chang

We hope that you enjoy this free sample!

All the best
    Dave

PS here is a sample from Fapy's lessons http://www.gypsyjazzacademy.com/content/fapy-lafertin
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Is there a recording of the solo piece anywhere? On any of lollo's albums or anything?
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    The song is called Pepe's Dream and it can be found on Lollo Meier's CD called Rosas. Apparently it's out of stock here at Djangobooks but you can get the CD via mp3 from iTunes. AE
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    thanks man!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    Jazzdawg; TRAIN YOUR EARS!
    "Dave,
    I sent you 2 emails and got no reply, I realize this is not the support vehicle for your site, but I did send emails to you, so I'll ask 1 of the questions here:
    Are these lessons closed captioned?
    Reason I ask, is I'm hearing impaired and it's difficult to understand the voices of folks. The music comes through, but the explanations give me trouble.

Thanks,"

:mrgreen:
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    I believe the real song is attached. :mrgreen:
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited January 2011 Posts: 551
    I have my own transcription of Pepe's Dream from when I knocked this out a year ago, based on the video at youtube.

There are some slight differences between the video and the recording, which I assume this transcription is based on, as might be expected. Here are a few worth mentioning :

#39 - 2nd measure has the D on the bottom string, not the top (the bottom 2 strings are barred with the index finger)

#41 - 2nd measure has 0-7-5 instead of 0-5-0-0

There are a few more, but these stand out the most so far to me as significant in terms of sounding correct and economy of technique.