DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Academy

Comments

• smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    I would be interested in seeing that as I am currently working on it. :mrgreen:
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Sure, PM me for format. I'm thinking of doing a PowerTab copy this weekend that I could send to you.
    Hi guys,
    Is anyone here a member of GJA? Could you share your experience please?
    Can someone tell me how much stuff is there? Movies, tabs, songs (hope it's not a secret).
    Do they update every month as it seems there was no update in last 2 months.
    Cheers
    I hope some members can answer this for you in more detail. But for the record... we have several updates every week! Either performances, lessons, licks or clips Lollo has filmed in response to questions from students.

I will update the front-end of the site with a list of the lessons we have on the site at the moment...yesterday I added Fapy Lafertin playing a solo guitar version of Tenderly and a performance clip of Fapy and Lollo playing Nuages.

This week I have 10 of Django's essential licks to add, along with another instalment of the lesson on Minor Blues from Fapy. Next week I will be adding some more lessons from Fapy on improvisation and a lesson from Lollo on his tune Route De Paris.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi. Archtop Eddy here. I'd be glad to give you some feedback about the Gypsy Jazz Academy. I've been a member since December and I work from pieces of it nearly every day. Currently there are at least 55 lessons and video clips from Fapy and Lollo. They include: 22 lessons and performances from Fapy; 26 from Lollo; and 7 performances by Fapy and Lollo. Additionally, as Dave noted there are numerous videos from students, multiple transcripts, audio clips and tabs of essential Django licks, a photo archive, and more.

Most of the videos allow for user comments and from these comments -- which range from Fapy and Lollo to players like you and me -- you can gleam a lot of useful information. Basic techniques have been covered very carefully: proper right hand technique, proper rhythm, how to create Django-type solos, importance of linking correct arpeggios to the song, decorating and coloring your solos, etc. Philosophical points are covered as well such as the role of the chord structure, respect for the melody/harmonies, and staying true to the song during your solos. These things Fapy and Lollo make look easy, but their playing styles are full of subtleties and nuances. The videos directly address these issues for the student. What's cool is if you have any question or requests, you can post it right there and often as not Lollo or Fapy will provide you with a verbal or video response.

The stuff's not spoon-fed to you though. You need to put your own time and thinking into what's being taught. The info is there at the GJ Academy, but the playing needs to come from you. When you're ready, you can take the stuff you've learned and make your own vid and load it up for Lollo and/or Fapy's comments. Pretty foreboding idea for some -- a rare lesson opportunity for others.

I've always wanted to learn directly from Fapy. But taking a trip to Holland, spending a month there, and hoping I can remember what I've been taught is an expensive and difficult proposition. Some day I hope to do it! Until then, for less than a dollar a day this is an awesome substitute. This thought alone keeps me inspired to keep learning!

AE
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Hi Eddy

Do you know if the videos are downloadable?

Thanks
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I use a Mac and Firefox and download the videos via a shareware called downloadhelper (at www.downloadhelper.net) It works like a charm. I also use Downloadhelper to download videos from YouTube and just about anywhere else a video comes up on the internet.

AE
  • KardzGypzKardzGypz
    Hello guys,

I would like to know if some of you could give me some informations about the quantity and quality of material available on this website.

So far, I've been using the Rosenberg Academy as well as Gypsy Jazz School, which to me are worth every cents I spent.

So what about this one ?

Thanks for the informations and have a good day !
  • KardzGypzKardzGypz
    Up ?
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious as well. I joined for a brief time in the beginning but there was not much material up.
    Now two years later how has the site developed?

For me the most interesting aspects are licks and transcription of songs. I believe that is the most direct way to learn the style.

Can anyone chime in on how the site has developed?