DjangoBooks.com

standard gypsy picks

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Spartan - thanks for the info. Just did a search on V-picks. Quite a selection!

http://v-picks.com/picks.php

I'm using a Wegen button pick. It was a fight to begin with but being I was starting out with Gypsy I was casting most previous learning out the window so I said what the heck? Love it now! Just wonder what a little more of a tip would be like. The B#/Bb picks look interesting. 4.10mm

I can hardly stand to play my old 1.10mm these days.

I can see how these picks can be a money sink tho - I used to purchase my Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks by the handful and they are all over the house! Can't imagine leaving Wegen or V-picks all over. :shock:
  • SpartanSpartan New
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Spartan - thanks for the info. Just did a search on V-picks. Quite a selection!

http://v-picks.com/picks.php

I'm using a Wegen button pick. It was a fight to begin with but being I was starting out with Gypsy I was casting most previous learning out the window so I said what the heck? Love it now! Just wonder what a little more of a tip would be like. The B#/Bb picks look interesting. 4.10mm

I can hardly stand to play my old 1.10mm these days.

I can see how these picks can be a money sink tho - I used to purchase my Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks by the handful and they are all over the house! Can't imagine leaving Wegen or V-picks all over. :shock:
    Thanks HTR, it's funny how quickly you get used to the thicker picks, i would never have believed i could have used a pick like that if someone had told me about them before. I was like you i used the DunlopTortex picks for years and years, the 1.2mm kinda magenta colored one.

For hard driving swing music or single note playing they really are terrific, i periodically A B them with some other picks i have and the volume difference and feel is so much better. With the thinner picks you have that kind of plasticky plink as they hit the strings and they just don't appear to have the same punch or volume. I'll never go back to them now. Since getting the V picks i haven't used anything else!

I just make sure as soon as i'm finished playing they go straight back into my pocket! you're right! no laying these around! In saying that i recently bought a couple of the Psycho's and you get a nice little drawstring pouch, to keep a few picks in, that comes with them. Could be handy! :D
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm surprised to see the positive reviews on these....we were sent demos of these V picks a while back and the unanimous response was that they weren't well suited for Gypsy jazz. Too much pick noise when playing with rest strokes. So I declined to stock them and could hardly even give them away at Djangofest.

Is everyone here posting positive reviews actually playing with rest strokes? If so I guess I should give these another try...

'm
  • SpartanSpartan New
    Is everyone here posting positive reviews actually playing with rest strokes? If so I guess I should give these another try...
    'm

I almost never play with rest strokes, to me rest strokes is a term from the classical guitar bag that i just don't relate to. I use the pick and if i like it that's it.

They do have some pick noise from them but i'm more than willing to put up with that for the benefits of the tone. Then again i'm playing lots of different types of things not just gypsy jazz.

Wish i'd been at Djangofest then if these were going cheap! :)
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Michael - you reminded me of a question I neglected to ask Spartan. Are V-picks plastic? What is the material like? Keep in mind my only experience is my wegen button so this is more for just general info for the masses. :wink:
    I almost never play with rest strokes, to me rest strokes is a term from the classical guitar bag that i just don't relate to. I use the pick and if i like it that's it.

Ok, that explains it then. 95% of Gypsy players use rest stroke picking which works very differently than free stroke picking. Not all picks work for both...
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Michael - you reminded me of a question I neglected to ask Spartan. Are V-picks plastic? What is the material like? Keep in mind my only experience is my wegen button so this is more for just general info for the masses. :wink:

They look and sound like plastic to me...but you'd have to ask the manufacturer to know for sure.
  • SpartanSpartan New
    HotTinRoof wrote:
    Hi HTR, they're made from acrylic, not plastic, they don't wear much and when they do it's in a nice smooth way.

No way the company would get away with charging those kinds of prices for a plastic pick!
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    How is acrylic not a plastic?
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    err unless you buy organic tortoise shell picks, every single pick you have ever held in your life is a plastic pick, make no mistake everypick on the market is a variation of plastic.

So before the question is asked, yes you can buy a sheet of your preferred thickness polymer and make your favourite picks (plectrums) out of that sheet for the rest of your life.

They are generally polyethylene, polypropelene and polyvinylchloride are alternatives just the density and thickness is the choice