DjangoBooks.com

standard gypsy picks

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Even though I am pretty much settled on the picks I use, has anyone tried out any of these?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks

I think they are priced at $5.99 for a package of 3.
    HCQ
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me but those Dunlop picks look fairly crudely manufactured. I really can't vouch for any other pick, but I can definitely say that the Wegen's are the best pick I've ever owned. I primarily use the 5mm and the 7mm Wegen's, and have used the 3.5's in the past before I sold them. I've never had a Wegen slip on me yet, and most of the time I actually find they grip so well that the grooves leave their mark on my fingers.

I'd love to get my hands on a thick Tortoise pick one of these days, but that's just wishful thinking.
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    HCQ wrote:
    Even though I am pretty much settled on the picks I use, has anyone tried out any of these?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks

I think they are priced at $5.99 for a package of 3.

I have a set of the 5mms, and tried them out. In fact, I am staring at one, next
    to a Wegen standard as I type...they look and feel like Wegens, with the ribbed design.

On the first few uses, it seemed like, when compared to the Wegen, the polycarbonate material seemed to be a bit more sticky --- in other words, the Wegen glided off the string in a way
    I preferred. So, I relegated my Primetones to use on my nylon and coated bronze strung guitars.

Reading this post prompted me to try out the Primetone again on an Argentine strung guitar.
    Now with the pick more broken in, it plays fine, feels and sounds much more like my Wegens.
    The only difference to me is testing a 5mm pick vs. a 3.5mm pick, so I may try the 3mm
    ones.

For the price, they seem to be very good Gypsy picks that (based on my experience) just need some break-in. Hope that helps.
  • SpartanSpartan New
    Just ordered a couple of Wegen's, the gypsy jazz one, after reading so many good reports both on here and in other places, i think i read that Tommy Emmanuel is using Wegen's as well.

If i'm pleased with them they'll be my new favorites, if not they'll do as back up's to the V's.

Reading what Michael was saying makes sense, if you're using rest strokes for this kind of music the V's might not be your best bet, think you'll get quite a lot of string noise. :)
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more fuss made about these Dunlop 5mm Primetones(round)--i really can't tell the difference between my Wegens and the Dunlops to be honest--they sound great to my ears and come in a pack of 3 for the price of one Wegen and are just as durable--they are smaller than the,for me, slightly unwieldy Trimus', and have more balance in the grip-for Wegen users they are definitely worth trying.But picks are such a personal thing you really have to experiment to find the one that suits you.At the moment these Dunlops suit me fine.
    Stu
    DeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
  • SpartanSpartan New
    stubla wrote:
    .But picks are such a personal thing you really have to experiment to find the one that suits you.
    Stu
    Hi Stu. yeah it's great if you can find something you like and they're fairly cheap, i've found it difficult to get good picks that i'm happy with. The V-Picks are a revelation, the tone is so nice but these Wegen one's sound even better for the really secure grip they have and sound as though they'll definitely be better for Gypsy style playing. :)
  • SpartanSpartan New
    Just got my Wegen's today and have been practicing with them, very impressed! different than the V's, don't know if i would say they're better, but they are very good.

I like the grip areas and they definitely seem to glide over the strings really beautifully.

All in all these probably will become my favorites, as early indications are all good.

Thanks Michel for the great service. :D
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Has anyone tried these?: Guzz s3 picks http://www.guzzguitar.com/

The maker sent me a couple to try, I am really quite impressed!
  • MarioPercinicMarioPercinic LuxembourgNew
    edited October 2022 Posts: 4

For me Dunlop PrimeTone xl 3.0 pointy picks really work great for gypsy jazz plaing. Even though they are pointy, the point is not sharp, actually just perfect shape for me. They give me enough atack and a bit of pick noise which I like, but at the same time they seam extremely durable and the grip on them is just perfect so that they don't fall out of your hand.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Here you go. Nous'che sets the standard.

BucoDoubleWhisky