DjangoBooks.com

standard gypsy picks

Comments

• SpartanSpartan New
    Heretic wrote:
    How is acrylic not a plastic?
    Well if acrylic is plastic then they're plastic! At the end of the day i like them. Go buy some you might like 'em!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Heretic wrote:
    How is acrylic not a plastic?
    From wikipedia: "Acrylic resin is a general term for any one of the plastics (resin) generated through chemical reaction by applying polymerization initiator [whatever that is] and heat to a monomer [whatever that is]."
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    redblues wrote:
    unless you buy organic tortoise shell picks, every single pick you have ever held in your life is a plastic pick, make no mistake everypick on the market is a variation of plastic.
    Ooohh, not really. What about all the wooden, horn, bone, metal, and even glass picks?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Ooohh, not really. What about all the wooden, horn, bone, metal, and even glass picks?

Ah now of course wood or metal, i've never even seen a bone or glass pick. I was using a 3mm wooden one for a while for picking not really rhythm, raging when i lost it a party but had a nice clear tone, and a lot less clunky than the Wegen
    redblues wrote:

Ah now of course wood or metal, i've never even seen a bone or glass pick.
    Here are a bunch of picks made of different materials, such as bone and different kinds of horn and stone:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-catshow/dugain_contour_picks.html

and these are made of glass:
    http://quomodoglass.com/picks.html

My favorite Dugain is the acetate (fake tortoise). Ebony and rosewood sound nice, but I leave a fine dust all over the top of the guitar and in the string windings if I use a wooden pick of any sort - hard pick attack. Bone is pretty good, but I find it a little scratchy. My overall favorite pick is the Wegen Big City.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • SpartanSpartan New
    All the talk on here about the Wegen's made me look into them, they look interesting, what's the best one to buy? the gypsy Jazz looks good, i like it 'cos it has the indent thing and looks as though it'll be more grippy.

I like the V-picks but i remain open to good alternatives. :)
    I've tried the gypsy pick and the big city pick and I prefer the big city, it's extremely thin but very hard (never bends). It also doesn't have the indent for your thumb if you're not a fan of that.
    "Best gypsy pick" is of course highly subjective. You probably have to try several out to find out what works best for you. The Wegen gypsy pick has been something of a standard, and I used one for years. But in the last year, I have switched to the Big City. As sfishman says, it's thin (by gypsy standards) but still stiff as can be. Even though it lacks the indentations, the perforations make it easy to grip. Stochelo uses one.

Dugain makes some nice picks in different materials, some of them with indentations, if you are partial to that. Each material imparts a different sound quality. I like the acetate, which is sort of a fake tortoise.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    I think a few of us need to sit in a circle at DIJ and pass around picks. :D I imagine the whole wegen line will be there for purchase.
  • SpartanSpartan New
    I like the V-picks they are good but the way everyone raves about the Wegen's i have to try them.

The thing i like about the Gypsy Jazz design is the gripping indents and grooves, even with the V-picks stickiness the pick still moves around a bit if i'm giving it full welly so these sound as though they wouldn't slide around so much.

The V's are great, but the claim that they don't move is not correct, not for me anyway, they stick to your fingers 'cos of the material, but they still move around a little as you play, resulting in re-gripping the pick. I'm always looking for picks that grip real well and are real secure. :)