Hey,

Any people there who are from England who play Gypsy Jazz

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Of course! Try this site: http://www.hotclub.co.uk/
    Cheers
  • w_lavenew_lavene Cambridge, EnglandNew
    Brilliant Thank you.
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    There are loads of us all over the place but this may be of interest.

http://www.hotclubofcambridge.co.uk/
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    And up here in Scotland we have Havana Swing - an excellent Dundee based group

http://www.myspace.com/havanaswing

Check out Youtube for Samois videos and you'll find them playing outside Cafe Marigny

And, of course, my very own baby the Hot Club of Glasgow

[url=htp://www.hotclubofglasgow.com]htp://www.hotclubofglasgow.com[/url]

The Hot Club of Glasgow started up almost three years ago, we have regualr Tuesday night sessions and the club has spawned two groups - Rose Room featuring Tam Watson and Tom Gallagher ( also known as Swing Guitars ) guitar builder Jimmy Moon on bass and the very lovely and extremely talented Seonaid Aitken on vocals and violin.

The latest group to emerge form the Glasgow club is Gitane Ecosse who play Cafe Cossachok in Glasgow this Sunday http://www.cossachok.com/

Here's the blurb - This newly formed group, features Polish gypsy jazz guitar virtuosos Ricardo Wiszniewski and Darius Szoma who join with compatriot Janek Drewniak on bass and Andy Whiteford on sax & clarinet to pay tribute to the hot swinging days of 1930's Paris with their authentic interpretations of Django Reinhardt classics along with some American Songbook standards.

Also, for the first time in ages we're having some gypsy jazz - with Havana Swing - at the Glasgow Jazz Festival this year.

So, all in all the future's looking good for gypsy jazz in Scotland
    always learning
    Yeah i have heard there is quite a lot of Gypsy jazz in Scotland, It good to hear as so many people who hear me play or hear Gypsy jazz love it and want to see more. Even some people who's other music tasted are, well how should i say not my cup of tea. And i am noticing a lot more significant Gypsy players coming hear recently which is great. Im going to check out Lollo Meier and Faby Lafertin in london in a month, and someone told me Romane is coming soon as well. All amazing stuff. I had the pleasure of going to see Stochelo Rosenberg and Bereli Lagrene playing together in London about 6 months ago. I was about 4 rows from the front and it was the most incredible thing i have ever seen.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    My God! where've you been?:-)
    Britain can lay claim to perhaps the longest tradition of GJ appreciation--It was in the Uk that the Quintet had there first and biggest successes, not France .
    Since the late 70's many of the big names played regularly in the UK particularly Fapy Lafertin,the Ferre bros and in the early 80's the young Bireli--who i first saw play at the legendary 100 Club in 1984(truly a life changing experience!)
    And of course in London we have the Quecumbar where over the past 8 years you could have seen(in no particular order) Moreno,Matcho Wintestein,The Rosenbergs,Tcha Limberger,Angelo DeBarre,Lollo Meier,Lulu Reinhardt,Ritary Gaguenetti,Feigly Prisor,Olivier Kikteff,Kussi Weiss,Biel Ballester,Yorgui Loeffler,Romane,Paulus Schafer,Adrien Moignard,Sebastien Ginaux,David Reinhardt,Mito Loeffler and shortly Fapy Lafertin.
    Then theres the IGGF in Gossington Gloustershire which has played host to most of the big names in GJ.
    Stu
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ...And if you are ever over these parts there is the Hot club of Dublin, locoswing and Frank Kilkely and the gypsy jazz quartet and Ain't misbehavin 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    Cool.

yeah i knew there had been a good tradition of Gypsy jazz but pleased to hear i maybe underestimated us brits!!
    I am only 26 so aint been around musicaly for that long,(although i played guitar since i was 12) and until 3 years ago i had never heard of Django, i was a prolific Blues player and had done loads of gigs and recording etc,but then i remember about three years ago i heard my first Gypsy jazz, Specificaly the first tune i listen to was django's version of In a Sentimental Mood.Talk about being blown away. and since then i have not looked back dedicating a rediculous amount of time to learning this style, so in terms of playing dedicated Gypsy Jazz gigs, it is still a bit new for me. As im sure you apreciate, it took me a year or so to get the correct technique as before i mainly played blues. I had played to a very good standard and played with real great artists, but naturaly a very different technique, as i was a massive Peter Green and Buddy Guy fan. Still love them cat's and play blues still but Gypsy Jazz has totaly taken over.

Out of curiosity, i recently brought another gypsy jazz guitar but never heard of the make and cant find and info on it. It plays great and has a real good sound, it brand name is XP. Anyone heard of this. I love it it realy play good after i made a few adjustments and i got in for £40 from a charity shop. They had no idea what they were selling!!i was walking past and there it was in the window.They listed it as unplayable as the bridge was shot. They were so wrong, it plays like a dream
    Anyone shed any light. All they new was that a French Girl had moved to England and did'nt play and i think it belonged to one of her relatives and she gave it to charity shop
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Glad you've joined the club!!.. as it happens one of my all time favourites is "In a Sentimental Mood"--just an extraordinary interpretation of Django's--the best ever version of this song imo--and on the link between Django and Blues...remember BB King's favourite guitarist was Django;listen close and you can hear it in every note BB ever played--that Vibrato :-)!!
    cheers
    Stu
    Yeah i know. BB loved django. and i know what ya mean but BB was he own thing like Django's was.To be honest even if they know it or not most good guitar players have been influenced by Django in a big way. I had never heard of him as i said until 3 years ago, but found that i had developed by people i had listen to a few licks and movements which now i understand django was so influenced by him even though i had not heard him at that point. One song is i used to play was classic Gypsy jazz. a Am6 blues swing with the hook being what i now know to be a standard Am6 arpeggio kinda a harmonic minor thing.
    I have just realised i have never played in a sentimental mood!! what a crazy fool i am.Guess what my next project is. Im working through the melody as we speak. That tune is haunting in its beuty. Classic Django. Taking a already amazing and touching melody and giving it something that not only enhanced the melody, but literaly speaks to me.
    Joe pass also said django was his favorite.