DjangoBooks.com

English based Gypsy jazz fans

Comments

• w_lavenew_lavene Cambridge, EnglandNew
    and George benson, jimmy page and les paul in documentaries they have all named him as a biggest influence. I wander what cats like Hendrix and Clapton thought of him
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    Hi guys, just a quick heads up from another GJ fan from the UK. Been playing guitar a long time, but GJ only recently. Had a couple of jam sessions with other players but it's all been rather infrequent. Hope to up my game in the years to come!

Derek
    cool where are you located in the Uk,
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Did you know that Django played the Cambridge theatre in 1938?.. 8)

http://www.paulvernonchester.com/1938UK-Tour.htm
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    Wow no i did not know that. that very cool.Does you know about Paul vernon chester workshops advertised on his website at the link you sent me. Heard good or bad things about it
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    w_lavene wrote:
    and George benson, jimmy page and les paul in documentaries they have all named him as a biggest influence. I wander what cats like Hendrix and Clapton thought of him

Clapton loves Django--in a book about guitarists(can't remember which one)i remember Clapton saying he particularly loved Djangos electric playing and praised the lovely round tone he got.
    Don't know what Hendrix thought but it would be hard to imagine any guitarist disliking Django.
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    cool where are you located in the Uk,

I'm in Gloucestershire. Love to know if there are any other beginners/beginning-intermediates close by. A regular jamming partner would be a great way to move forward.

Cheers,
    Del
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    rimm wrote:
    Did you know that Django played the Cambridge theatre in 1938?.. 8)

http://www.paulvernonchester.com/1938UK-Tour.htm
    My parents were there and here is a page from their program which I still have:-
  • neillneill portland ,englandNew
    didn't hendrix name his 'band of gypsies' in honour of django?
    Yeah i heard hendrix did name his band after that, but i suspect that may not quite be true. i also saw a Hendrix documentary and Billy Cox the bassist from band of Gypsy said he named it due to the spririt he felt playing wiht those guys. So dont kow what to belive. as someone said though i hard to imagine any guitar player not loving Django.And i also heard before hendrix died he was getting into jazz and had played a bit with Miles Davis, So maybe had he lived he may have got himself a selmer stlye guitar and played a bit of Gypsy jazz or something.

i have met a few guitarist's who say they aint realy into Django, but i find those people's playing is a bit shit even if they think they are great. Kinda says it all