DjangoBooks.com

Why the heck would you want to sound like Django

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I think I understand your point better now. It wasn't clear to me that these were two different projects.

There will always be youtube haters, however, especially in niche (aka "nerd") markets. Also, most haters don't have two clues what they're talking about. The mere suggestion that Birelli--who took a break from GJ to go jam with freaking Jaco Pastorius--would be intimidated or weirded out by anyone else's guitar explorations is laughable.

Someone smarter than me once said that gypsy jazz is neither gypsy music nor jazz music. Nevertheless, it is the label this style has been stuck with. I have no less than 6 genre labels in my Itunes that could all easily be condensed under "gypsy jazz" but that would make it so much more difficult for me to find things. Speaking of which, I just got a Tchan-Tchou album and there were drums on it. Should I throw a hissy fit because it isn't traditional enough?

Whatever it is that defines this style is constantly evolving, but it is our way as humans to cling to the familiar and try to grasp the essence of things. Just as Plato wondered how it is we can recognize so many different objects as chairs, we can wonder at how so many different styles can be called gypsy jazz but when we hear Justin Bieber we know that it is something different. Where the line is drawn will always be a subject for debate, and much breath will be wasted thereupon while the musicians continue (thank the powers that be) to play.
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Very well said - very eloquent! Thanks.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    kevingcox wrote:
    ... when we hear Justin Bieber ...
    Fortunately, some of us have managed to avoid that. So far.

Speaking of which, have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-2O_gdYZo
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Okay - so I'm posting youtube lessons for HOMESCHOOLED KIDS, am only up to the 10th lesson, have only covered 1 scales so far (natural minor), and I have seasoned/professional gypsy guitarists criticizing my sound as not sounding like Django/Manouche. Excuse the rant but. . .

just took a second look.. i didnt see any "seasoned/professional gypsy guitarists criticizing" ?
    -very few comments or views at all actually. ?

there's a ton of bs on youtube with people commenting and being disrespectful. The comments you have received look pretty tame.

anyway- if you are reading this thread and you have a youtube account, take a sec and report these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhA_6OGL ... ture=g-all
    uelbek3 is actually robbing people on youtube.
    (sorry if this comment hijacks the rant thread)

cheers
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    ViperMad77 wrote:
    anyway- if you are reading this thread and you have a youtube account, take a sec and report these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhA_6OGL ... ture=g-all
    uelbek3 is actually robbing people on youtube.
    (sorry if this comment hijacks the rant thread)

cheers

Contact these guys - I believe they have to do the takedown. I'm not sure that flagging things on youtube gets much done unless you're the rights-holder. I'll send a note to Dennis.
    http://www.hyperhipmedia.com/HM_contact.html
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    People, like Dennis, deserve to be able to charge for their professional work and property rights.
    Stealing their work and giving it away is criminal.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    How do I report? Do I just click the "flag as inappropriate" button?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    kevingcox wrote:
    How do I report? Do I just click the "flag as inappropriate" button?
    Kevin, I think Bob is right. If you attempt to "flag as inappropriate," it asks you to select a reason, and under copyright infringement, you need to be the owner. Denis posted a comment on this one, so he is definitely aware of it. It looks like this pirate SOB has posted a whole slew of these, and he has the nerve to use the Youtube videos to point to his site where he offers free downloads. Thanks to him, we may never see another Hyperhip DVD again. Denis has gone over to an online delivery system, but I prefer the DVDs because you can slow them down and loop them, something that the online school does not offer.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    klaatu wrote:
    I prefer the DVDs because you can slow them down and loop them, something that the online school does not offer.

Hyperhip Media offers many of their Gypsy Jazz DVD lessons at Hyperhip Media On-Line which uses a player that provides looping and slowdown features. It's also super easy to maneuver among the chapters. At $49 each, the lessons are less expensive than the DVD versions and download quickly and seamlessly. The On-Line system also helps protect the hard work of Wayne Nakamura (with Hyperhip), Denis Chang and the artists represented in the DVDs from inappropriate digital distribution and theft of their products.

Currently, there are at least nine DVDs on line. They are Denis Chang's The Art of Accompaniment, his four volumes of Technique and Improvisation, Tim Kliphuis' two volumes of Hot Jazz Violin, and Stochelo Rosenberg's two volumes -- In the Style of SR and Gypsy Waltzes featuring SR. Each volume is 120-185 minutes long.

The On-Line lessons are also transferable to iphones and ipads via an app.

We live in a golden age of Gypsy Jazz studies thanks in great part to the internet and digital capabilities. But we are a small group of enthusiasts and our world could easy come undone. As we see over and over, it doesn't take much for all the hard work of some to be destroyed by the reckless and unethical behavior of others. I use YouTube a lot and benefit greatly from it. And while I know how to download the clips from YouTube, I for one choose to support groups like Hyperhip Media and obtain my products directly. It's not really about the money or what I can get for free, it's about doing the right thing to support Gypsy Jazz.

You can learn more about Hyperhip Media's on-line courses at http://www.hyperhipmedia.com/

(Sorry Aaron if I've diverted your thread a bit. I felt it was important to let people know about the status of Hyperhip's On-Line site)

AE
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem - I think Denis and Mr. Horowitz work on GJ education is fantastic by ANY standard - I don't think there is a comparison in the classical or jazz world for quality! I hope anyone stealing their work gets removed.