DjangoBooks.com

Why the heck would you want to sound like Django

Comments

kevingcox wrote:
    How do I report? Do I just click the "flag as inappropriate" button?

Cheers everyone,

Just to clarify.. -yes, you can in fact flag a video for fraud and you dont have to be the owner of the material.

here's how:
    -click flag (the little flag under the video)
    -next to "Flag For:" click on 'select a reason'
    -scroll over SPAM (but dont click it)
    -a menu will drop down, click on 'SCAMS / FRAUD'.
    -click 'submit video for review'
    done.

is it a scam? yes. is it fraud? clearly, yes.

I won't go on and on about this, I just think it's the responsible thing to do. If you have 10 free seconds, flag the hell out of that video.

@Dennis - if you are reading/lurking on this one.. >fist bump<

@kungfumonk007 - if you feel harassed on youtube (in vid comments or pm)there is a way (just as easy) to report someone for bullying/harassment.

Dan
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Thanks Aaron for understanding, and allow me to take your points about Michael Horowitz' great works and contribution and segue to a point I forgot to mention, that being if you truly desire the original DVD versions of Hyperhip Media's Gypsy Jazz lessons, you can pick them up right here at Djangobooks where MIchael currently stocks all the Denis Chang and Stochelo Rosenberg Hyperhip Media's DVDs. (Last thread hijack... I promise. Really... :wink: ) AE
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Damn, that's a good point, Dan.

Normally just posting vids on youtube wouldn't be considered fraud because there's no attempt to induce you to take action that could harm you or benefit him...

But... if he's using the vids to induce you to visit a website where he can either benefit by advertising, or harm you through loading malware on your computer, then it seems like a reasonable person might consider that fraud. And if it's fraud, anyone can flag it.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Hi folks

i'm on vacation right now , so not much internet access..

here's my take on things.. first kungfumaster; yes youtube comments are lame, but you gotta live with it... The people who post stupid tihngs about Gypsy Jazz are rather tame compared to other styles of music where the comments take idiocy to a whole new level...

Re piracy: I've always accepted piracy as a fact of life so while it does suck quite a lot, I'm able to move on and just keep working on other projects in hopes that people like it enough to support it. That said, unfortunately, piracy is one of the few reasons why I had to start my own business (the DC Music School thing)

I don't want to release any confidential financial information, but it costs a LOT to produce these videos; keeping in mind that it's a very niche market, even with a name like Stochelo Rosenberg.

While there is profit to be made, the figures aren't actually high enough for us to be living the high life... Instead, I've always used whatever profit that I made to produce other things.

I'll continue doing things this way until I drop dead haha

so as far as the serbian guy posting the videos, I've tried to reason with him (as politely as possible) but no dice, the guy will have none of it; and the law is only set up to protect the people with the big bucks for big lawyers, so little fish like us don't stand a chance.. it's a reality we have to accept.

i did try to ask people on facebook to help out; but the reaction i got disappointed me, friends, someone that i actually admire , hjave performed with, and for whom i have organized a few concerts ( i won't name names, but you;d be surprised ) turned on me with lame excuses such as "if those videos are online, there must be a reaason, i will not flag them without knowing the full story, the person posting these videos probably has permission from the owners to post these videos" .... DUUUUUUH!!!!! who the hell do you think is the owner of these videos?

hahaha so yes while i am able to live with the reality of piracy, i was a bit disappointed by the hostility from my friends on fb... It's the division and lack of solidarity among the professional community (often for petty reasons) that disappoints me moreso than the actual act of piracy..... but i really appreciate this thread and what you guys are doing, and I appreciate your support as well!!!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    ViperMad77 wrote:
    kevingcox wrote:
    How do I report? Do I just click the "flag as inappropriate" button?

Cheers everyone,

Just to clarify.. -yes, you can in fact flag a video for fraud and you dont have to be the owner of the material.

here's how:

Thanks, Dan. Done.

Denis - I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that I am saddened that this is happening. We know how hard you work and how dedicated you are to doing everything you can to make this music accessible to us wannabes, not to mention the wonderful concerts you have staged (and in at least one case, rescued). It's unfortunate that you are not getting support from some of your colleagues, but you are appreciated here.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AurelienAurelien PARIS✭✭
    @ Denis, je parle rapide en français pour te dire comme je l'ai fait sur manoucheries tout mon soutien, ce que tu fais est super et je sais que ça coûte très cher de faire ce que tu fais...

Même mon premier album à été piraté!!! Lol!!!

Ça je m'en fous mais dans ton cas pas du tout, j'espère que ça ne t'empêcher à pas de continuer ;-)
    http://www.aurelienrobert.wix.com/guitare my 2nd album is free to download !!
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Others have tried legal methods to stop these thieving pieces of s--t, but for various reason it's about impossible. The rule of law in some countries isn't always what we are used to. I went to the Russian site which has stolen so many GJ recordings and books just to see what they were doing, and all the sanctimonious talk from their "customers" about "sharing" was enough to make a decent person sick. It's actually worse than theft. It's one thing to steal from others, that's bad enough. Expecting the thief to give you the poisoned product and then calling it sharing - disgusting. Well, it's a fact that these pirating sites are not about sharing at all - the true purpose is data mining and more theft. They stole to set up their little scam, and they are positively going to steal anything they can from all the "sharers" who download the dirty goods. Caveat emptor. A pox on all of 'em!

Just a reminder, over the decades, many people have played excellent music that could be called "Gypsy jazz" that took some inspiration from Django but never copied him at all. Mostly done without youtube, too.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I would like to confirm what Denis has said regarding piracy as it relates to Gypsy jazz. Like Denis, this is something I have had to accept as well. I have never made any public announcement regarding piracy, but I think anyone who has followed this site over the years will have noticed the steep drop off in production of Gypsy jazz CDs and educational products (books, DVDs, etc.) As someone at the epicenter of Gypsy jazz related retail, I can confirm that the rise of internet piracy has coincided with an 80% drop off in sales of all media related to this genre.

As Denis pointed out, this is an extremely small niche....before pirates started posting everything for free you could self produce a book, CD, or DVD and hope to sell a few thousand copies which would cover your expenses and labor adequately. Due to piracy, that number has dropped to far less than half that so it's really not economically viable to produce these media items anymore. Hence, you will only see a new book, DVD, or CD on Djangobooks every month or two. Five years ago there were dozens of media items every month, but now all the artists, authors, publishers, and music labels have become demoralized by piracy and have largely abandoned new projects. One of the most telling is Jon Larson's Hot Club records. This is the guy who brought us Jimmy Rosenberg, Matelo Ferret, Angelo Debarre, Andreas Oberg, etc. Piracy has eroded his sales to the point that he will no longer press any new CDs. It's hard to believe, but piracy essentially killed off Gypsy Jazz's premiere record label. He will continue offering his titles as downloads, but there's no longer any incentive to produce new recordings.

Like Denis said, there's not really much the little guys like us can do but hope there's a few honest people out there who will continue to support the artists and publishers who specialize in Gypsy jazz music and education.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    That is so sad, for the artists as well as the honest buying public. I don't blame the pirates nearly as much as those people who actually downloaded all that material that they posted. Without them, piracy would not be a problem. They've deprived the artists of a good part of their livelihood and deprived the rest of us of a good deal of material that we could have enjoyed and benefited from. Downloads (and I mean legal ones) are fine for ephemeral pop tunes, where the kids listen to them for a few weeks and then discard them. But for those dinosaurs among us who enjoy holding something in our hands, something with pictures and liner notes, with music that we may listen to for years to come, the move to downloading entails a big loss. Not to mention the loss of audio quality in going from CDs to MP3 files. It was bad enough that we lost something in the transition to digital decades ago.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    It's a shame that it's now becoming unfeasible for authors to release new books due to piracy, because as a medium books really are great way to learn. I do like the online video learning academy's, but when you look at the content of a book like Michael's Gypsy Rhythm, It would be impossible to convey that information in a video lesson.