DjangoBooks.com

One last attempt to find one soul who can identify this guitar

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
in Photos Posts: 513

I have written, emailed, called and badgered a number of luthiers, instrument collectors and recommended authorities on jazz manouche lutherie and still cannot verify the maker or era of this guitar. Here’s what I do know:

1. Solid rosewood back and sides
  2. possibly cedar top
  3. Mirecourt luthier of unknown ancestry.
  4. The previous owner was unaware of this guitar’s origins.

The following are the post restoration photos, with non original items:

1. tailpiece
  2. Tuners
  3. new fretjob.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Still some differences, but a contender.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

I had a an identical one here years back:

i was never able to determine who made it, but it did sound great!

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@MichaelHorowitz - yep. You sold it to me. And it is a gem!

Closest thing so far, including a headstock match.

MichaelHorowitzvanmalmsteen
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Wait, but is this the same guitar? The tailpiece is different, did you change it? Or did you find another one???

Upgrades:

1. new frets
    2. custom tailpiece
    3. tuners upgraded
    4. cracks stabilized

MichaelHorowitz
    edited March 2020 Posts: 513
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Great audio again on this recording. You can really hear how well that guitar resonates.

Passacaglia
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 959

Just curious as to why you say; "Here’s what I do know: Mirecourt luthier of unknown ancestry." when Michael's original description alluded to the Italian workshops in Paris? Both could be worthy guesses, but I could also add I have seen similar necks made by Carmelo Catania. If that is a clue, then it is known that when demand got too busy he made and supplied many necks for Di Mauro guitars. Now I am not saying it could be a Di Mauro (they usually had the narrower pointed headstock shape) but if Carmelo was supplying Di Mauro, and he was also known to have had links with Vincent Jacobacci then possibly he may have supplied necks to others?

But....maybe we should forget both Mirecourt and Paris and head for Marseilles, could it be by Arturo Carbonell? The one on the Marcel Bianchi looks the same and he was known to use Carbonell guitars possibly because he was also from Marseille. Also I have seen Carbonells with that shape headstock.

All speculation yes, but somebody will recognise something to get us closer. Any Carbonell players out there?