DjangoBooks.com

Galli V027 S & S Low E doesn't go all the way in the tailpiece?

HI all,

I searched but didn't find anything on this exactly. I feel like a dork asking, but I don't recall this from before, many years back.

I installed a set of V027's and am immediately gonzo for them. However, the Low E ball end won't insert fully through the tailpiece hole. I almost exclusively always used loop ends, but do recall a set or two of ball ends, and don't remember this.

I don't imagine that's right? Is the ball supposed to go all the way up against the post, or will time work it in?

Thanks much.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Had exact problem with the gallis myself the other day! Lucky I found a loop end in my bag. I thought the problem was with the hole in the post not being big enough but now I know that the problem is with the strings themselves? Apparently?

Passacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Ha! Timing. The holes are small, and I can't see any way for that low E to go in. I can't imagine it's a problem with the string, and thought it would be weird if the Altamira holes are somehow non-standard small. So, I'm stumped. Thank god I'm playing alone, because if I showed up at a jam, I imagine I'd truly look like a noob. Playing like one is enough, thanks.?

-Paul

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited May 2020 Posts: 337

Oh wait, mine is an Altamira as well...hmmm

perhaps someone else will chime in

Passacaglia
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭

If the string itself can pass through the post, but it jams up at the red yarn (or whatever it is), you should be able to force it through with no major repercussions.

Just my dos centavos.

PassacagliaBuco
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 337

In my experience, the low E would not fit, the A string did fit but stopped at the yarn, and you’re right a good hard pull brought it all the way through.

Passacaglia
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭

Yup,

I've used V027's for quite some time, and once in a great while, you get that exuberantly wound E or A string.

Passacaglia
    I think, therefore I am......I think.

Thanks guys. I guess that lone low E is just going to have to look like a stray, then. Just didn't know if somehow that weakened the string. The A actually flew home on tuning it a few times.

Have to say....MAN do I love the sound with these strings.

mac63000vanmalmsteenBuco
    -Paul

A few times I even had to file down the end of the winding after removing the silk wrapping, think it was with LaBella which has beefier low E. Strings are fun to experiment with.

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

It's not for the PITA that makes me want loops. Really. It's only the cool look. Really.

-Paul

• BonesBones Moderator

Can you pop the little metal cylindrical piece out of the end of the string and just use it like a loop end???