DjangoBooks.com

Django Fakebook 20??

Everyone is familiar with the 2008 Django Fakebook:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://geosci.uchicago.edu/~archer/jazz_band/sheet/fakebook_django_2008.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiN0O7h_f3lAhXkxlkKHTvXAqYQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw21tySX9kwtxVeVe1mb2vlT

Was there ever a subsequent version of it??

I found on this forum a "Made In France" transcription which looks like it's in that Django Fakebook format, but it's not from the 2008 one:

Is there some other Fakebook in the like of the 2008 one??

Comments

Just to answer this old thread, there is another similar collection floating around the web. However, it is not as polished as Django Fakebook 2008. It appears to be assembled from a number of different sources. Some pages are guitar tab, some pages are in different fonts, several tunes have duplicate charts, etc. In particular, I remember counting 12 pages of Nuages music alone.

But beyond that, anyone can create lead sheets in the style of Django Fakebook. It uses fonts bundled with Sibelius music notation software (namely Inkpen2).

Or you can find the fonts online and roll your own solution using other software. For example, here's a sheet I just made using abc2svg and some custom code.

• Hey could be a interesting group project for the forum. Of course I wouldn’t want to be a part of the arguments that come up when trying to agree with which chords to use.

mac63000
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17

I agree, cleaning up Django Fakebook 2008 would be a good project.

Personally, I would like to see the following changes:

(2020-09-13: See spreadsheet for updates.)

Add:

• all of me
    • billet doux
    • blues clair
    • dream of you
    • georgia on my mind
    • i love you
    • my serenade
    • some of these days
    • take the a train (see attached)
    • the way you look tonight
    • there will never be another you (see attached)
    • vette (see attached)
    • what is this thing called love

Modify key signature:

• blues en mineur (A min), usually played in G min
    • dinah (Ab maj), usually played in G maj
    • i cant give you (F maj), usually played in G maj
    • joseph joseph (B min), usually played in A min
    • sweet georgia brown (F maj), usually played in G maj

Modify chord changes:

• anniversary song, B part: "G7 | % | C | % | E7 | % | A- | % | ... "
    • confessin: "G | F#7 | G | E7"
    • djangology: "A7/C# | C-6 | G/B | Bb°7"

Remove:

• solo transcription for I'll see you in my dreams
    • various long-form waltzes
    • various rarely-played tunes

Here are some recent charts I made in the style of Django Fakebook:

wim
  • BonesBones Moderator

Haha I never noticed the transcription of I'll See You In My Dreams in the fakebook. That's ok better practice to do it myself.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 73

Yeah, probably better to use keys and changes most often used in the modern day jams, even though I tend to prefer the more traditional changes.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited September 2020 Posts: 337

The turnaround to There will never be another you, Different everywhere I look? Maybe I’ll settle on the above way

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

leave the original, write “book two”

Bones
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@vanmalmsteen - Memorizing vs. Knowing - settle on being adaptive so you can play with lots of people - learn chromatic descending, the above way, the original . . in at least a few keys with this tune. lol!

@AndyW - 2nded!

@Bones exactly! (plus I'm not totally convinced those rhythms are super accurate)

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,319

Hey Andy. Yeah might as well just start a new one. Actually the pdf I have was called volume 2 so I guess there already is a vol 1 floating around out there somewhere. I think this would be vol 3. I'll submit some charts but I don't have the software to do the pretty pdf charts so mine are all handwritten.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 17

Sounds like it should be a new volume rather than an updated volume. We can just call it "2020" or "2021". For adding tunes, we can stick with contemporary jam favorites. For including tunes from DF2008, we can include the ones that are known to cause confusion for many players (e.g., is Confessin "G F# G E7" or "G F# F E7"?).

I made a spreadsheet to collect ideas.

If anyone has tune requests or charts they want to add, feel free to add them to this thread.

Here are some more I just worked up. Feedback welcome.