DjangoBooks.com

Let's hear some bad rhythm

django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 71
Hi Michael,

Could you give some examples of what bad rhythm, or wrong technique might sound like. In your book you mention the galloping sound. Could you post an audio clip of this?

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Sure...
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Michael for the fast response. Being able to directly talk with the author of Gypsy Rhythm and having that connection makes your teaching materials and the process even better.

Looks like I have alot of rhythm work to practice, I noticed when I do try to play faster, I get this galloping noise.

Thanks
    Just keep at it....you'll get it!

:D
  • campfirecampfire New
    Michael,

Maybe now, an example of how to play the same thing correctly? Thanks!

Larry
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
    There's about 300 examples right here:

• campfirecampfire New
    I just thought it would be interesting to hear bad vs. correct as a direct comparison, with the same chord & tempo. I'm sure you don't have "bad" examples in your book. There I go, trying to get something for nothing..... :oops:

Larry
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
  • RichRich New
    There's about 300 examples right here:

:D I got a look at this book at samois and will definatly be purchasing it soon.. that bad rythm example really spooked me..
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Michael,

How do you define "bad" rhythm?
    Michael,

How do you define "bad" rhythm?

Anything which doesn't swing!

But more specifically, the biggest problem for beginners is getting the upstroke properly coordinated. Usually they do it too slow, and too loud which gives a clunky galloping effect. My example above isn't really bad enough, I should probably try harder to make it worse by exaggerating the upstroke problems.

The early Django style had a slower upstroke, rarely as slow and loud as the example above. But sometimes close....but today's players almost never play that way. The upstroke has gotten progressively faster and subtler over the years. And of course, some styles omit the upstroke altogether.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    My example above isn't really bad enough, I should probably try harder to make it worse by exaggerating the upstroke problems.
    That is partly why I asked the question because your example did not seem particularly "bad" to me. I've certainly heard a lot worse.

Perhaps you could give some examples of Django recordings which you think have "bad" rhythm.