DjangoBooks.com

Does Django quote melodies of his era we don't recognize?

vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
edited March 2012 in History Posts: 133
Hi All,

I've been thinking... does Django quote melodies from his era that we don't recognize because they're quite old, but people of his era would instantly recognize? It seems there could be lots of melodies from musettes he used to perform that he could add to jazz improvisations and they would sound completely novel. I'm still amazed by how little Django seems to repeat licks (maybe, er, likely, I need to listen to more recordings, more carefully).
I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Jeez, Bob Marley quotes melodies of his era we don't recognize...anyone for Calypso?
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Calypso fan here, check out the Mighty Sparrow doing Dan is the Man in the Van

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    He certainly did! Apart from "El Manisero" (Peanut Vendor) which he quotes countless times, other examples include Chopin's "Funeral March" in his "Blues en Mineur" from 1947, and his own composition "Babik" is quoted by Django in his 1948 recording of "Daphné", which goes on for 4.39! Manoir De Mes Rêves from the same session goes on for 4.30. The reason for this is that they're radio broadcasts (from Radiodiffusion-Television Française) and were transferred to acetates before being released sometime after LP's became available. You just can't fit that much onto a normal 78rpm disc.

I suppose he quoted way more on radio broadcasts than recordings, since there were no penalties for "borrowing" or "quoting" themes from other copyrighted songs. They could also go on for an extended period of time and gave Django and his associates more creative freedom. A mistake on a radio broadcast didn't cost them a dime, but a mistake on a recording and they could be forced to do another take, and it wasn't free, you know. So they were more restricted and careful on normal 78rpm recordings.
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    he often quoted "La tonkinoise" when he was out of inspiration or when something was wrong in the accompaniment !

Django's Dream (Debussy's "Reverie") intro is a quote from "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un Faune" by the same Debussy.

The theme of "Danse nuptiale / moppin' the bride" is an adaptation from la "marche nuptiale"

These are a few examples that came to my mind.

Also the intro of "When day is done" is a quote from Maria Elena (not sure about this one but it is a quote...)

Django quotes "Chicken reel" in his 1949 "NIght and day" rendition and his own "Anouman" in "Troublant Bolero"...

etc..etc.. ! :)
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    No no, you are all giving examples of the ones we recognize; Vince wants examples of ones we DON'T recognize.

Geez, read the question, fellas!

:D:D:D :P :P :P
  • bryanologybryanology Los Angeles, CANew
    interesting topic. I believe the slightly funky lick Django plays on "After you've gone", during the break on his solo, is from an old French musical. I'll have to do some homework on that.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    So, help me understand this. If we didn't recognize them, how would we know if he was doing it?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • I'm with you klaatu. How do you know something you don't know.

As the man said its not the stuff that you know you don't know that gets ya it's the stuff you don't know you don't know.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Mostly Django quotes melodies from Django.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I'm with you klaatu. How do you know something you don't know.

As the man said its not the stuff that you know you don't know that gets ya it's the stuff you don't know you don't know.
    OMG! Donald Rumsfeld on Djangobooks!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles