DjangoBooks.com

Here's a picture of Django's pick

Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
I'm a member of "Old Guitar Pickers" group on Facebook. Martin Taylor apparently has one of Django's picks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldGuitarPickers/

Not sure if you can see it if you're not a member.

[img][/img]

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Mm. How would you know for sure - unless it came from Stephane or Joseph or someone really close to Django ? Also it looks really lumpy. However I can imagine Django using something like that - it kinda fits somehow.
    always learning
  • Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
    edited July 2014 Posts: 43
    Well, Martin Taylor recorded and toured with Stephane Grappelli for 11 years, and recorded over 20 albums with him. I'm sure Stephane gave it to him.
    Martin Taylor originally posted it on his Facebook page, and someone shared it in the "Old Guitar Pickers" group.

https://www.facebook.com/martintaylorMBE
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable
    The "lumps" almost look like rosin or something that was added to help with the grip. Very interesting - thanks for sharing!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I saw Martin Taylor play with Stephane so I assumed that it probably did come from him, I just like to know these details.
    always learning
    DjangoJazz is in the process of making a copy from an original Django pick. Not sure if they will be for sale or not, but they look amazing.

@crookedpinky

I know what you mean, I like the details too.

I just received a back issue of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine, Volume 6, #6, Sept./Oct. 2002 with John Jorgenson on the cover. There's an interesting story about how John acquired his Selmer... the music store he bought it from, and the man who sold it to the store. Some details missing, but what details are there leads back to Django.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I find it hard to believe that Django played this big plectrums (over 4mm) extensively. The sound from these are just so clicky that I can't here it on any of Django's recordings. Anybody share the same feelings?
    milltownswing
    edited July 2014 Posts: 43
    I don't think shell would be as clicky as the synthetics used today. I've played with 2.5mm shell and it was very warm. It would be hard to think that back then guitarists worried too much, or even at all, about a bevel on their picks. Any bevel (I imagine) would be worn into it from so much play time.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    a profile photo should help to understand the shape as it seems slightly curved
  • rinorino the Netherlands
    this one was one of him for shure.
    renzok