DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy style - no rhythm guitar

lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 39
I know that it's virtually impossible to have gypsy style playing with no rhythm guitar but I was wondering is anyone doing anything like that?

I live in a tiny town in the North part of the Louisiana (not even the "cool" or cajun part) and there is no other players here interested in GJ. I have a gig playing restaurant jazz with a bass player each Sunday one of our major restaurants (there is no other jazz going on here other than at the local university where I teach guitar). I play a variety of jazz on that gig including a few Django tunes along with a mix of bebop, early era, 50s-60s era and standards and so forth. I include some Wes, Charlie Christian in there too.

I have a few guitars but I find it really works the best with my Gibson ES775 (like a 175) because it's so full and has sustains well for a hollow body.

I've been on a gypsy jazz binge here for about the last 3 months and have pulled out my Dunn Belleville and gotten on with it daily, but I hesitate to bring it to my gig - still not entirely comfortable with that.
Anyway - is there anyone out there playing their gypsy style guitar with no rhythm player?

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    My friend Reynold Philipsek will play a guitar-bass gig for our Folk Music Society next month. He's broad church jazz, with a special interest in the gypsy side of things--here's a video of him with percussion and bass (and the wonderful Clint Hoover on harmonica):

That's not quite just guitar and bass or strictly gypsy, so here's a strictly-solo "Dark Eyes":

And a nice composition:

I'd say that there's plenty of scope for guitar/bass music in the gypsy-jazz bag.
    lukejazzDavid Humphrey
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Sounds like you might need another solo voice on clarinet or violin, then you will have the chance to play rhythm. There is always the John Jorgenson format with keyboard, drums, bass, violin and guitar, which worked great for him.
    lukejazz
  • lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
    Wow he's great - thanks for the links. I wish my guitar sounded like his - of course my playing is as sophisticated as his either. All 3 of those were interesting to me.
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited November 2014 Posts: 170
    That guy's playing a gypsy guitar, but he plays and sounds more like DiMeola, Yngwie etc...
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Couldn't find any Reynold examples that were solo-ish and more gypsy-ish, but a YouTube search should establish his GJ cred in band contexts.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    If you're alone with a bass, you could try to play waltzes (if you know some) since the melody is usually very rythmic, it can be sufficient (sometimes)
    lukejazz
  • alberto250579alberto250579 pordenone italy✭✭✭
    Häns’che Weiss made two album with just bass and guitar...he is quite a respected musician.
    just play! 1
    http://www.djangostation.com/Just-Play,676.html

just play! 2

http://www.djangostation.com/Just-Play-II,952.html

hans che weiss from radio swiss

http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en/musicians/song/2541aeb4295fdc7c371b6d493f56646722e2

also wawau adler made an album just guitar and bass

http://wawau-adler.de/?p=469

wawau playng s song on youtube, just guitar and bass

Summertime - Jonny Hepbir Duo

Summertime - Jonny Hepbir Duo

• lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
    Thanks for all the links everyone.