DjangoBooks.com

Rino van Hooijdonk

Comments

Silly, yes. =)
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Ok, then what would Rino need to do, just open a PayPal account?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Before you start signing Rino up for online banking and a part time job that pays less than minimum wage... ;-) consider that thanks to Adrian & Patrus & Rino, you already have the tools and resources to create what you want, and that transcribing is a particularly effective way to learn - and in fact - is how most of the greats learned.

1.) http://www.soundslice.com

2.) http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 3EmT06agrM
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    No disrespect, Bob, but it's apples to oranges to remind folks they can transcribe on their own. Rino just has fans who wanted to reach out to him about options for long-distance instruction.

I have a day job myself, but if somebody wanted to kick me 60eu on Paypal to make a few instructional clips or recordings... well, let's just say I wouldn't need help saying no. ;)
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Would anyone mind if I or someone else asks Rino if he even WANTS to do anything like this? Jeezus, suddenly he has to master video, audio, tab, and international financial transactions to do something he certainly doesn't need.

I really like this guy, Tim and he being my favorite new people at Django in June this year. If Rino wants to do this, fine, but understand, he is, like me, very old school, and I'd bet mastering a bunch of complicated audio/video crap, especially if its junk made by Apple, is more than he'd want to bite off. I rather doubt he would want to bother learning tab, etc. It seems to me at the very least, we should see if he's even open to the idea of doing anything, and then let him set the parameters. I think it would be in very poor taste to say, "Hey Rino, we want you to teach us all you know, and videotape it, and transcribe it. And we'll pay you ten bucks each." Really?

Guys, this man should be approached with respect and consideration. Remember, Stochelo used to play rhythm for HIM!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    I agree with everything Michael B said except I'm assuming it's already happening the way he describes (i.e. checking to see if he's interested and if so what he'd prefer).

I chatted Rino yesterday and mentioned there were some folks on the forum talking about this. Here's a copy/paste of what he said:
    I know about the lessons idea. I got the suggestion from Will Wilson who followed my workshops in DJinJ. Might be a good idea anyway.

So I think it's all good.
    Rino DOES like the idea, but wants to do it sensibly. He also suggested doing this via Skype, so I just checked to see IF there is software which records Skype, and indeed there is.

And so I think these two methods are most Rino-friendly, ie "cash" and "Skype"

therefore, barring any strong objections, I'm going to move that the group accept these two methods, at least for now. we may end up revisiting them, who knows?

if the group is in accord with this plan, the next step will be to delegate one IT expert from the group whose job it is to make the Skype recordings and email them out to the group, and one bagman whose job it is to collect the money by whatever means we all agree to and mail the Euros to Rino...

... So, your thoughts, gentlemen?

will

PS I wouldn't have the tech chops to do the IT thing myself, but would be willing to be the bagman on condition that you guys just mail me cash (Ten dollars? Ten Euros? Lets talk about that...) and I'll be in charge of getting the Euros to Rino.

however, if the group strongly feels that PayPal is the way to go, I'd rather not get into that so Id be happy to let somebody else be the bagman, or else perhaps,we could even have two bagmen... Id be the cash bagman and there could also be a PayPal bagman who could send me cash once he'd collected the PayPal money...

(Actually, there is another way that might be convenient, so I'll just put this out there and see what you think: if there is a **** Bank near you, perhaps you would find it convenient to take your cheque or cash contribution to the local **** Bank, give the teller a couple of numbers and bingo! Your donation would be deposited into my "cash for Rino" account...**** actually is a Canadian bank ("Toronto Dominion") but I've noticed lately that they seem to have branches all over the US...)
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I can help with the Skype group video chat and recording. (bookmarking this for myself: http://www.evaer.com/)

Have you talked about rates with Rino? The $10 pitch in concept sounds fine but is that for a single one hour lesson with 9 students in a group chat? Four 30-minute lessons? Personally, I'd rather avoid scheduling around you guys and Rino's timezone and see what Rino comes up with just making short, simple lessons on his own.

My first choice would be a Rino channel on Youtube with a few 1 to 5 minute clips where he shows us something, explains it, and plays it slowly for us. If somebody wanted to tab that on SoundSlice.com later on that would be gravy. I'd already offered to help him with any technical hurdles when we chatted the other day (I do this sort of thing for work).

I'd propose the folks who are paying contribute questions and/or lesson ideas. We could send those along to Rino with some money and then I can give him whatever instructions he needs to get some recording option setup. He already shoots and uploads clips to FB on his own so he probably doesn't need any help at all, although he doesn't seem to have a YouTube account of his own yet.

A group Skype chat lesson would allow more back and forth, but I think it also adds an extra layer of complication, connectivity issues, and time-wasting at this stage. Like if I heard you guys were scheduling a group chat lesson, my first reaction would be, "That's fine, can you just upload it to Youtube so I can go skip through it later?" I'd only want to watch the parts where he's playing something at speed and then slowly, but that's just my preference.

Last thing: I just wrote to this guy Sam on YouTube who appears to have shot most of the local clips of Rino. If he's a friend of Rino's and/or a guitarist himself we might have a local contact just in case that helps with anything.

To sum up:
    • I'd suggest not trying to actually schedule a 5 to 10 way group chat at first
    • I'm happy to help Rino with any technical hurdles for shooting his own videos and sharing them with us
    • I think the folks who pay should be the ones who create the questions/suggestions Rino uses to make lessons
    • I'm curious how many clips/lessons of what length we get for X dollars
    • Personally, I'd prefer a handful of short clips of two minutes or so as opposed to one epic video of a freeform chat lesson
    Hope this helps and let me know if I'm misreading anything, Lango.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I've been watching this one as I'm interested. I took one of Rino's workshops at DIJ and agree there is much to be learned if he is willing. I really don't have anything to add except to say I agree with what Matt is saying. I would be interested in a Youtube channel model as opposed to Skype, if Youtube is feasible. While I can see the advantages to the interactive Skype model, I'd personally prefer to let Rino do/say what he wants without interaction from the audience. I worry a bit about the anarchy of a dozen students in an internet workshop.

Short clips are better than long. Maybe one song or one concept at a time.

If it can be like the Youtube model, I'm in. If Skype, probably not.

Soundslice is a great Youtube tool.

No idea how to secure a video channel and keep the money flowing to the teacher, that sounds like it could be complicated, but I'm game if it can be worked out.
    Matt, thanks for volunteering to be our tech wizard, and I agree that having the tech guy record the Skype session and then forwarding it on to the group members is the best way to do this, given the fact that members are probably in many different time zones.

Now as for the ten dollar?/ ten euro? rate --- I just pulled that out of my ass with the idea that hopefully the number of guys in the group multiplied by ten would create an amount roughly equal whatever Rino gets paid if hes doing a gig... He told me he hasn't been getting too many gigs lately.

Given my experience at Rino's workshops at Django in June, Rino's not going to be into preparing detailed, intricate lessons. He's quite happy to share whatever it is you want him to show you, but it's not part of a systematically organized method. Hes just a lovely down home kind of guitar-playin' guy with no real ambitions to set the world on fire as a teacher.

I would expect that whatever he chooses to share with us would come in little chunks with probably as much talking as actual playing; thats just the way he is. It seems quite likely to me that group members may have totally different reactions to his casual approach, with both happy and unhappy campers, so that's another reason for keeping the price rather low, at least until we see how it goes...

And I agree that group members should get to decide what we'd like to ask him to show us.

Will