DjangoBooks.com

The Gonzalo Rhythm Sound

Comments

• As I reflect on how I did it....

Playing chords s a quarter note then an eighth note, then a sixteenth, then a stacatto note and finally a muted chick.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I am basically putting no tone in 2 and 4 there, there is just a little ringing from harmonics and an occasional errant note :0) which is part of what is bothering me as I don't hear that in Gonzalo's. It is my responsibility to clean up the errant notes but I don't know why his strings are not ringing like a normal mortals guitar.

I'm not sure how to get that 2/4 crisper or more Gonzaloish. He is the only guy I know who gets that exact sound from his rhythm playing, except maybe Jeff.

I like the suggestions - I am going to experiment with them, record, video, experiment some more and if I make any progress maybe post an update.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 3,320
    Ok, yes on 2 and 4 if you get the proper right hand motion I think it gets rid of that rattle, ringy, I don't know how to describe it but that is part of the problem that I had/have and one thing that I was asking G to help me fix. I find that if my right hand does not snap or whip thru the strings but use more 'weight' and kind of 'rake' or bear down on the strings it doesn't produce as much of that rattle sound.

I don't think that your hand should move any faster on 2 and 4 than it does on 1 and 3 (look at the velocity of G's right hand, he does not 'whip' his right hand on 2/4). The difference is that the 1 and 3 is only the bass strings while the 2 and 4 go all the way thru (but personally I think that while you play thru all the strings on the 2 and 4 the emphasis is still on the bass but that is something that I will try to ask him about on my next lesson).
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 3,320
    Ok, I just tried to analyze what I am doing at this point and I definitely think that I have gotten rid of the rattle/ringy thing (yay!) on 2/4 and what gets rid of it is to not whip your right hand. Dig in and rake thru the strings instead and don't speed up the velocity of your stroke. If you strike the strings with too much velocity I think that gives the ringy tone that you (and I) are trying to get rid of by overly damping with the left hand.

Now my current problem is the timing on the damping with the left hand. It needs to be very precise. Right after the right hand finishes going thru the strings damp with the left or you get too much musical tone happening. That is why I think the 1 and 3 are very short (only strumming thru a few strings).
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I believe this video clip is a good study in this new school rhythm style in which Benoit Convert, Adrien Moignard, and Gonzalo Bergara perform "Coquette."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yes, that's a good one to use since the chords don't change too fast so you can focus on technique rather than following the changes so much so play along with that one and try to fit in with that sound. If you have a way to slow it down a bit, try that if it helps. Like 90% or so just to make it easy to get a clean sound.
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    My recommendation is to convert the video to an mp3 file. Then use Audacity (or Amazing Slow Downer) and slow the tune down to about 90% until you're comfortable playing along, and gradually take it up to speed. Then, using Garageband (or some program that you can record yourself on one track along with the mp3), and compare your sound with the mp3 recording you're trying to match. Then work up to match your sound with the sound you're after. It really helps to be able to just listen to yourself playing when not in the act of playing.
    @kungfumonk007
    Without analyzing the smallest minutia, your rhythm sounds fine. The upstrokes are the main difference between you and Gonzalo.
    But let me ask: why do you wanna sound like him? You did a fantastic job accompanying Joscho, as I was listening to you guys in the barn (Madison) I was thinking "that's a good rhythm guitar".
    Even Gonzalo says in that video "there's no two people who play rhythm the same". Having him as an inspiration is another thing, that we can all do, aspire to improve and sound better. Have it as a model, but interpret in your style.
    Trying to sound like someone else will make your own playing more constrained, you will not be playing relaxed thus sounding less then your own full potential.

By the way, at DIJ he made it a point in several classes that he doesn't completely mute 2&4, and if it sounds that way it shouldn't be. The chord is always voiced just to a different degree and emphasizing bass vs treble on 1/3 vs 2/4 respectively.
    @Bones you could clarify this?

Buco

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Buco! That is some good tips from everyone. I am happy with my own sound and in the end I will have my own groove but right now I want to have the option to add that texture to part of my sound as well. Of course when I play with Joscho I want to play more according to his preference which is way different I think than Gonzalo's, Joscho uses swing voicings, and of course some of those tempos are just ripping and I just have to repeat in my head over and over and over again "light, relaxed, light relaxed!!!!"
    I second what Buco said. I also was at the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest in 2012 and caught all of Joscho Stephan's sets. I thought your rhythm perfectly suited Joscho's playing. And that guy blazes! I was envious. Still, I appreciate your wanting to get that new school sound into your repertoire. It's an especially good approach for jamming when you have a dozen others playing rhythm backing up the soloist in the circle. I guess you missed your chance then to learn from Gonzalo or Jeff while they too were there performing. That was one great 3-day event!