DjangoBooks.com

The Gonzalo Rhythm Sound

Comments

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I second what Buco said. I also was at the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest in 2012 and caught all of Joscho Stephan's sets. I thought your rhythm perfectly suited Joscho's playing. And that guy blazes! I was envious. Still, I appreciate your wanting to get that new school sound into your repertoire. It's an especially good approach for jamming when you have a dozen others playing rhythm backing up the soloist in the circle. I guess you missed your chance then to learn from Gonzalo or Jeff while they too were there performing. That was one great 3-day event!
  • Someone commented here about Sammy Dassaut asking how many different styles of rhythm he could play.

Being able to do lots is a big plus in my book.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 3,320
    Buco, yes he definitely voices the 2/4. I think the trick is to damp very quickly after the strum so that there isn't too much ringing (unless for some reason you want that effect but definitely do not overdo that). Yes 1/3 bass only, 2/4 all strings but don't whip your right hand on the 2/4. I think it's pretty much of a fine tuning, nuance kind of thing especially for those of us who have been working at it for a while. You have to get power by throwing the weight of your right hand (but not whipping). It's not a velocity thing so much as digging into the strings (if that makes sense). Strive for power in the 2/4 as opposed to speed with the right hand (it is different). Power gives you the percussive feel while velocity gives that ringing tone (that's my 'take' on it, not a quote from G so again take it for what it's worth). And, again, do not let the voicing of the chord ring excessively or it gets muddy and loses the bounciness really fast. It's really hard for me to explain as it's more of a feeling than something that I can actually analyze/verbalize but after just a few recent lessons my rhythm playing feels and sounds a LOT better to me. I was in a real rut after years of improper technique and feeling like I was not able to figure it out on my own so if you guys are in that position or someplace similar to that I would strongly recommend some Skype lessons (plus he's great at teaching soloing technique as well which is a nice bonus for those of us who are rhythm slaves/aspiring lead players).

Note also that I spent a lot of time compensating for the excessive ringing on 2/4 by playing with less power/volume in the right hand and a lot of damping with the left hand (to the point of no voicing) but I'm now finding that with the proper right hand technique I don't need to rely on those crutches anymore.

Sorry, I wish I was better at verbalizing it but it's the kind of thing that works better just by playing along with him and having him make suggestions (obviously) plus everyone is different so what helps me may not help you.

Anyway, good luck, have fun with it, and keep me posted if anyone has any great insights as I'm sure it is still a very long search for perfection....
  • Good description Mr Bones

Being able to whip the strings on 2 and 4 is a really cool technique but I find to get it to sound good the left hand timing is different. Itp don't use it too often beput at the right time with the right inensity it is a superb articulation. Like most things musical....it loses its impact when used to excess.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Jazza, yes for sure. Lot's of variations. Everyone has to find their own sound and embellishments if used tastefully.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Kung, thinking about it a little more, Gonzalo takes about 'throwing' your right hand to get power. I think that the distinction is that throwing and whipping are 2 different things that yield a different tone and it's a very fine line, nuance. Throwing and digging into the strings yields a deep, round, percussive tone. Whipping yields more of a swooshy, ringy tone (at least when I do what I think of as whipping) and it is more muddy and harsh and not as powerful and swinging. I hope that helps.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,707
    Whipping on my guitar gives a percussive crisp attack that is not at all swooshy...as I would define the word LOL and when quickly muted with the left hand gives a sound a bit like a chordal snare drum beat without the snare on.....very very dry...crisp if you will....bery abrupt tonally centered "chick" sound.

I hear it a fair bit with modern rhythm players but to me it is more of a specialty effect...to be used sparingly
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I think another fine example of this new school rhythm approach can be heard on Romane's CD "French Guitar." It's not loud and driving, although similar to Gonzalo's style. And while it's not traditional swing, it's very cool, very jazzy. On this CD recording, besides Romane, it lists guitarists Richard Manetti, Fanto Reinhardt, and Yayo Reinhardt. Yet all the rhythm tracks have this same light and steady percussive style as can be heard on this title cut. I would add this as yet another rhythmic style to be added to the GJ repertoire.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @bohemewarbler Good call pointing out the rhythmic prowess of the other Reinhardt brothers. I've always loved the rhythm sound on those recordings with Romane. :-c
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yes, that's another great example of the modern sound (at least to my ears). Maybe a little lighter than Gonzalo's sound if played side by side but similar. I also think that this points out how subtle differences are important and how it can be swinging and powerful without being overpowering.