DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a used guitar - some general questions

Comments

• Robbing Peter to pay Paul is the only way most of us musicians ever get anything! If I still had all the Instrumemts and equipment I've sold to get other Instrumemts and equipment, I could open a museum! Speaking of which, You don't need a 1977 Fender Pro Reverb do you?
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Ha! I used to own a Twin reverb, that I had the hell modified out of, way back when people weren't afraid of ruining the value of an instrument or amp. Everything seems so precious now with vintage instruments! These things were meant to be played, not kept in a museum.
    One good thing, I wasn't using that sax any more (way into my clarinets and my alto sax) so while I was sentimental about it, the guy who bought it was totally excited to get it, even called me a couple of hours later to tell me what a great horn it was. A good feeling for sure.
    OK, no more rants! I have bid on a guitar on ebay, will find out on Thursday if I am getting that, and if not, at least I have a whole lot more that I can afford now.
  • I put a Bigsby on my '65 Gretsch Anniversary and a purist friend freaked! I'm like you--I have Instrumemts and equipment to play and sound the way I prefer not to worry about potential value 30 years from now!
    Good luck with guitar! What kind is it?
    Nice, I like Gretsch guitars, almost bought one when I got the Guild.Well, I got outbid on ebay, and now I am having second thoughts. It is a Dell Arte, John Kinnard, D-Hole, Favino Hommage, and it looked affordable, and a D hole. Thing is, I still haven't made it up to Seattle yet, and I think I need to do that before I buy. I would like to try a Nomad and still like the idea of a French guitar. Here I am prejudging with not a bit of experience!!!!!!
  • I'd say get a Nomade from a reputable source sight unseen. Or an MD/MDC 100, which is what I was gonna get before lucking into a trade for my Dupont. Can't go wrong with Dupont. Had a beautiful '63 Tennesean that is part of the source of my Dupont. Traded it to a Beatle guitar collector for a Martin and a Deering banjo. Traded the Deering and a regional luthier's mandolin for the Dupont 10 years later.
  • There's a Gitane Jorgenson on sale on forum if you wanna get a pretty dang good guitar for $800. My bandmate has about 10 GJ guitars and loves this one as much as Dell Aryes and the two Eimers he has. It's very loud and plays great. It has a crisp dry tone.
    Well, I want a guitar that I can live with for a long time. I have been looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Arte-John-Kinnard-D-Hole-Favino-Hommage-/321814622432?hash=item4aeda570e0 which looks great but again I can't play it before and that gives me the willies a bit. The Nomades look great, and I missed one the other week that was used since I hadn't sold my sax yet. Timing is everything!
    There are great deals that come up several times a year, just need to be patient and something will come up. And if you have the budget and less patience there's Michael.
    You might wanna go back a few pages in classifieds, there are some guitars that were never labeled as sold so you never know, they still might be for sale.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Good feedback on the Kinnard guitar, appreciate that. I have looked at that guitar on ebay, but I am really wanting to get a D-hole instrument - I think, still haven't even played a D-hole but they are more appealing to me.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,707
    If a D hole is more appealing are you thinking rhythm rather than lead. If you look at what almost all lead players are playing, there is a reason for that.

There are a few builders who have been able to bridge the gap and make a Grande Bouche with enough punch but not in the price range you appear to be looking at.

Even my DuPont maple D hole which has a real bark to it doesn't compare to my Dunn for lead as far as volume goes, but I play mostly rhythm or chord melody stuff in 1 guitar bands so it doesn't matter. The DuPont has an amazing clarity and note separation. Almost like a great piano.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed