DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a used guitar - some general questions

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    I am hoping to be enlightened on the size of the hole issue once I can play two of the same guitar one with each type side by side. One of the reasons I am heading to Seattle next month. Also while I hope to do some gypsy jams at some point, the guitar I buy will need to be more flexible that for just one style. My band plays lots of European folk music, and klezmer and early jazz, so I need an instrument that can cover a lot of basses. I am getting into chord melody playing too. So yeah, my archtop and dreadnaught are are great for all this, but I want to have the ability to have a different sound when I need it.
    So I will never be a purist, but I certainly want to learn enough GJ so that I can play with folks in this style when I have the chance (and not embarass myself in the process!).
    Thanks for helping keep my mind open to all the options, especially since I didn't go for the guitar on ebay so not locked into anything yet.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 4,742
    I don't think you're locking yourself into a rhythm guitar by getting a D hole but they do sound different from ovals. Jay has it right in his description as far as tone but I don't think D holes lack volume or perceived volume over ovals. At least I haven't been in a jam where I thought the guy who played a D hole sounded quieter. You will be able to hear the difference in tone and decide for yourself. I was initially leaning towards a D hole mostly based on looks but a lot of the ones I tried playing sounded kind of diffused. That can be a good thing too as some as Jay pointed can sound big and spread out like a piano. The best descriptive I read is when someone here said that Rodrigo Shopis (I think) said D holes are like a room without furniture but he's one of the guys who's D holes excel at everything the best of ovals do and then some.
    There are lot's of threads discussing difference is sound between them so you can have plenty of info before you play one.

As far as it being a versatile instrument I think Selmer-Mac style guitar will do a much better job at other genres than another style guitar would do at Gypsy jazz so I think you'll be totally fine playing anything with it but especially the stuff you listed is already a part of today's Gypsy jazz anyway; early jazz is a given, I read some guys around here mix klezmer and a lot of European guys play traditional folk be it Gypsy music, Balkan or otherwise.
    Jazzaferri
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,707
    My Dunn has been used in bluegrass by a friend and he loved it, its is a more modern selmac sound but not as mid rangy as say a DuPont oval. A little more in the bass perhaps and lots of partials. Comparing two guitars of the identical design from the same is always an eye opener as they are different. Only way to go if you can is to try em or have someone with a knowledgeable ear try em

In truth as I have never heard a guitar play by itself it's a lot more about who's behind it. When Ivan played my Dunn it sounded wY different than when I play it.
    Stringswinger
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Good to know that ther manouche guitar is not a one trick pony and I will read more on the small vs large mouth. I love the way the large mouth boxes look, but I have gotten over that now. One thing for sure, I will know the right guitar once I can play it! What an interesting world this GJ thing is turning out to be, even before I get a guitar.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    woodamand wrote: »
    Good to know that ther manouche guitar is not a one trick pony and I will read more on the small vs large mouth.

I bought a Gitane to learn Gypsy jazz (obviously!), and I also play it with a country/folk/blues singer who plays a flattop. I brought it to practice when I first got it just to show off my new toy, and he loved it so much that I now only play that with him, no flattop for me. It adds a nice depth to the sound of the two of us playing together that we wouldn't get if both of us were banging away on flattops. And when I solo, I really appreciate the volume of a GJ guitar - cuts right through.
    Buco
    I am going to be real interested to see how a GJ box sounds next to my D35. Of course, I will have to grow an extra set of hands to do this!
    I have a really sweet sounding D16, actually it's a a limited run but based on a D16 and a few times my GJ guitar was in the shop I took it to my band practice and only then I realized the power and projection the guitars with this design have. Martin sounded like a wimpy kid.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    My Martin sounds best in a quiet room with no other instruments playing - then you can really hear the overtones and all that. I play it amped in my band, and it is loud enough but no matter how much I mess with my amp, not pretty. In a band situation, its just pretty flat.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,707
    I have a flattop that was built by a local luthier. 10 years ago at a bluegrass festival it was the fave of all the flat tops there including vintage Martins etc. my Dunn absolutely smokes it to my ear, and to that of Ivan Rosenberg, who is a real bluegrass/newgrass guy.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I also have D16 also which is extremely quiet even in a bluegrass setting. Great tone but no volume. The less expensive Saga made Blueridge flat tops actually sound and play better!