DjangoBooks.com

new music from Duved Dunayevsky

spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
check out Duved's newest musical project!:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hWgstIOuYIo

and for those that don't know his other group- duved's hot five!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qvhT_3Ieuc
t-bird

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Amazing sound!
    This guy channels the Django sound and phrasing more than anyone else I heard.
    How come I haven't heard of him before?
    He's from the Paris scene?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Duved is the real deal. Sounds more like Django than anybody. @Buco — he lives in Paris, yes!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 Posts: 872
    I remember listening to him before thinking he channels Django better than anyone else I have heard...and then I notice his wrist position in his right hand and he seems to anchor (like an electric guitarist) as opposed to floating when playing lead. There are a few other guys who play GJ well who anchor so when I occasionally teach I don't demand students anchor, it's about getting the right tone.
    papajoe
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    Scoredog wrote: »
    I notice his wrist position in his right hand and he seems to anchor (like an electric guitarist) as opposed to floating when playing lead.

I saw that too.
    It's got me thinking, "This guy's tone is incredible. I'm spending time daily working on my floating wrist/hand and rest stroke picking. What is it I'm really after?"
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    you can rest stroke with your wrist anchored.
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 Posts: 101
    he doesn't really use an anchored wrist like an electric guitarist, but its true that its rather flat. i dont know how he gets that tone! drives me nuts. i hear so many different players in paris but he really stands out for me.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited December 2016 Posts: 541
    I don't know if he uses vintage microphones and preamps, or he uses studio effects (EQ & compression?) to get that "old time" sound, but that coupled with his tone is spot on. I've heard two or three great 'new to me' players today reading this board.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Duved doesn't use any vintage mics or special gear like that, he uses a zoom mic and then EQs it. I wrote about this on the forum about 2 years ago --> http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/comment/75457/#Comment_75457
    Unfortunately those videos don't seem to work any more, but it was the same kind of sound as above. Great stuff, one of my favourite players on the Paris scene!
    t-bird
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    Scoredog wrote: »
    you can rest stroke with your wrist anchored.

Well, in the book Gypsy Picking, author Michael Horowitz writes, "Under no circumstances should your hand make contact with the bridge." (Page 13)