DjangoBooks.com

new music from Duved Dunayevsky

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 4,817
    Scoredog wrote: »
    and then I notice his wrist position in his right hand and he seems to anchor (like an electric guitarist) as opposed to floating when playing lead.

Yeah I noticed that on one of the videos I was watching yesterday. I have admit I was a little bummed when I saw it, I've been indoctrinated myself. But you can't really find a fault in his tone.

PS on the second look, he doesn't anchor just just flattens his wrist more than usually suggested.
    And yes that's not his true a acoustic sound, that's not what you would hear were you to see him live.
    I couldn't find a single video that's not from his own channel so they're all processed as Wim said.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016 Posts: 880
    t-bird wrote: »
    Scoredog wrote: »
    you can rest stroke with your wrist anchored.

Well, in the book Gypsy Picking, author Michael Horowitz writes, "Under no circumstances should your hand make contact with the bridge." (Page 13)

I have seen enough good players who anchor to know that it can be done. That said the vast majority of players of course float and if I was teaching someone from the beginning I'd make a floating wrist mandatory if GJ was what they most wanted to play. I am an electric guitarist for most of my adult life and switched to floating. I don't plan on going back but of course resting on the bridge is very useful for many forms of electric playing and sometimes essential.
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Buco wrote: »
    I couldn't find a single video that's not from his own channel so they're all processed as Wim said.
    try this one
    https://youtu.be/OlXtKiXzYpg
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    I think one of the things he uses to achieve the Django sound is keeping the notes short sounding. Since Django used only two fingers to play leads it makes sense. But again thats only one of the billion things you need to do to get that sound.
    t-birdBucoPetrov
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Poor guy (2nd rhythm guitar?) on the far left - he's cut out of the frame of view! But great video anyway. How lucky to be able to drive into the city and see such talented people on a weekly basis.
    Nejc
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,817
    That one is from his channel too and has that same old timey processed sound.
    For the record I'm not complaining, I like it. It's just that it's not what his guitar sounds like.
  • Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.
    I think I can answer for the right hand technique,
    these videos are from two years ago, before I've done the full transition to a floating wrist. I do think floating wrist technique is important for projecting greater sound and having more freedom, that's why all jazz guitar players prior to amplification used it (listen to Eddie lang) but in end the important thing is to get your own sound.

t-birdBucoAndrewUlle
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Mr. Dunayevsky, do you have recordings available for sale?

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.
    I think I can answer for the right hand technique,
    these videos are from two years ago, before I've done the full transition to a floating wrist. I do think floating wrist technique is important for projecting greater sound and having more freedom, that's why all jazz guitar players prior to amplification used it (listen to Eddie lang) but in end the important thing is to get your own sound.

Could you tell us about how do you manage to channel the Django spirit so well? How did you go about getting it down?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Very nice sound! Thanks!