DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited June 2020 Posts: 461

Here are some of the picks I have used to play GJ. After all the experimenting, I always come back to three picks (in no particular order).

1) Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5mm

2) Dunlop Gator 2.0mm

3) Killy Nonis Galalith

mac63000vanmalmsteenBuco

What do you like about the Killy Nonis? Does it slip? Does it click? Bright, warm, dark? Better for rhythm, lead? 3rd row down on the far left, is that a Christaan van Hemert pick? What did you think of that? Thank you for sharing!

The Killy Nonis picks are probably my favorite. They do not slip for me. I played a 2 hour gig with them and not once did I feel like I was going to lose the pick. Galalith clicks. That is the nature of the material. It is a pretty high pitched click. The Turbo (black one) does not click as loud because it is a different material. The tone of the Killy Nonis Galalith is bright and present. Kind of like turning up the "Presence" knob on an electric guitar amp. The bevels make for pretty smooth, fast, and effortless playing. I think of the Killy Nonis Galalith pick as an "old school" pick. Something I imagine older GJ players like Moreno Winterstein, Tchavolo Schmitt, etc. would have used before Wegen, Dunlop, etc. Which makes sense since it is supposed to imitate real tortoise shell.

Yes, that is a Christiaan van Hemert pick. It is also made of Galalith. I have realized that I am not a fan of the Big City pick shape and pointed tips, so I do not use it much.

matthewkanis
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

It's like a gypsy jazz pick museum over here! 😃

matthewkanis

Those are just the ones I used for gypsy jazz....

There are oh so many more guitar picks in my "guitar pick bin" 😐️

mac63000
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Wow! As to the Killy Nonis picks:

-- are they indented on either or both sides?

-- I can't find his Galalaith picks anywhere.

-- The Turbo is supposedly a little wider than his "Acker" model.

-- Are the points a little less pointy than the Wegen GJ 3.5 mm?

They are not indented but they have some kind material on the opposite side that helps with grip.

I contacted Killy through Facebook to buy the picks.

Yes, the Turbo is wider than the "Acker". The "Acker" seems to be more of a Big City shape.

The Turbo has three tips. The "pointiest" tip is just a little less pointy than a fresh Wegen GJ 3.5mm.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Thanks!

I forgot to ask about the tone of the Turbo (compared to, say, the Wegen GJ 3.5). Looks like you own both at Turbo and a Galalaith.

The notes are a little "rounder" with the Turbo compared to the Wegen GJ 3.5. To me the Wegen has a "sharper" tone probably due to the tip.. The tone will probably change once the tip on the Wegen wears down. Otherwise, the attack of the note is pretty similar. Both jump out pretty well and are loud. The problem I have with the Wegen GJ picks is that they move on me when I am playing and I cannot get a comfortable grip on them for long periods of time.

EDIT: Just did a practice session switching betwee the Wegen GJ 3.5mm and the black Turbeo. As mentioned above, the notes with the Turbo are "rounder". Also the notes with the Turbo sound much "fuller" as well.

Buco

I am thinking of getting a Killy Nonis pick now, but cannot decide between the Acker or the Turbo. Can anyone give some details as to one or the other? Thank you!