DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

The Acker is a different shape than the Turbo and Galalith. It is more similar to a Wegen Big CIty. I have not owned one so I cannot really comment on it.

As for the black Turbo vs the Galalith Turbo (I think Killy calls it the Turbo G), the black Turbo is a great all around pick that more similar to a Wegen in feel and sound. The Turbo G is supposed to imitate tortoise shell so it has a more slippery feel and sounds like (I would assume) tortoise shell. I definitely prefer the Turbo G, because the sound I get from it is what I hear when someone like RIno van Hooijdonk plays and I really like the tone that he gets in that it is very old school sounding. I read somewhere that he uses an actual tortoise shell pick.

matthewkanis
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

My favorite pick lately is the ManouchePicks "Tears", https://www.****.com/product-p/mptads2mm.htm but last time I tried to order one, it was out of stock. I hope they make more!

matthewkanis

My go to picks have been EML for a while now. I use the gypsy jazz special (based on Django's pick) for gypsy jazz (duh) and the standard rounded for archtop playing. https://www.emlpicks.com/collections/all-products I feel like the **** branded picks are made by EML. Just a guess.

I have wegens, the 350 and 250 and prefer those for electric guitar. And yes they are a clicky.

I use Buffalo Horn for a while but wore through then too fast. But they did sound and feel good.

Dunlop prime tones are ok. I prefer them for electric though. Good value for the money.

I got the wegen button more or less as a lark. Not very useful for lead but makes a pretty good rhythm woosh.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Just a thought, but the pick should compliment the sound of the particular guitar. By analogy, violinists try out bows after they have chosen their instrument.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I'm the little devil on your shoulder. "Go ahead and order both. Is it really that much out of your budget? Look how many picks geese has bought. You know you want to. Then you can be a hero and report back to the forum board on which you like better." Devil out. <drops mic>

matthewkanis
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"

I mostly use the black Dunlop 2mm picks nowadays. At least for practicing on my own (which is the only thing possible now anyway). But I have tried a few of those picks that are taylor made for the Django style over the years and I have to admit that they often sound a little better. I believe it's the beveled tips that sets them apart from ordinary plastic picks.

I have been particularly fond of the smaller Wegen picks (Twins). I also like the sound of the Big city Wegens, but haven't played them enough to get used to the pointy shape. I just tried a Dunlop prime tone (the thick black inexpensive kind) and I found that I got a more pleasing sound with it compared to the ordinary black 2 mm Dunlop. I also have the more expensive prime tone picks (dark brown) and I remember that I used to like them a lot. I think I stopped using them because of click noise. And also a different type noise that I get with the Dunlop 2 mm picks as well.

I would describe this noise as a sudden "ching" that appears now and then and which irritates me a lot. Maybe it's the way I hold the pick or the way I attack the strings? I haven't seen anyone here describing this kind of noise. Am I the only one to experience this? I like the idea of using normal cheap picks and not being dependent on a particular expensive one that's more or less difficult to get. I have also found that I'm more in control, and more responsible, for the sound I get with the 2 mm Dunlops. And then suddenly this "ching" appears and ruins everything. Any ideas?

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Interesting point. I was also wondering if the strings make a difference in the picks performance and sound as well.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Matteo, maybe a change in humidity affects the tone enough to cause the sudden "ching." Or, maybe your pick angle varies -- possibly flat-on produces the "ching," compared to an angled attack on the strings.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"

Thanks, yes I think it must have something to do with striking the strings in an inconsistent way.

I completely agree with you that the pick should compliment the sound of the particular guitar. I tried a few other picks today. A old worn regular Wegen 3,5 mm that I never used with another, more dark sounding guitar became one of my favourites, whereas an almost unused big city, which I like earlier, sounded much too hard and shrill with the guitar I play now.

• flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

My favorite Django-style picks are ones I made myself. I really like Wegens, I just don't like paying $25+ for a pick. I also have a Jokko pick which I really like, and I found this material online which seemed to be similar to some of the material he uses. It's called "Kirinite" and it's used to make knife handles. Compare these pictures:

https://shawwoodshop.com/products/toxic-green

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/djangojazz-model-trias-2mm-green

It comes in sheets that are ~3mm thick, so just about right for a pick. Shipping was expensive, but at less than $20 for a 1.5"x6" piece I was able to make at least 7 picks that I like better than anything else I've ever tried.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams