DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Comments

Update...From left to right...Wegen GJ 3.5, big city 1.4, big city 1.8, **** CvH and **** ****. The 1.4 is officially retired. Out of this selection the CvH is my favorite. Clear, big and warm sound. But, right on it's heels is the 1.8. I am equally comfortable with either one in my hand for lead or rhythm but the sound is just a little better with the CvH. But not much. The 1.8 is a fine pick. This is just my humble opinion. For me, there is a nitch under the first knuckle of my index finger that the edge of the pick rests against. When I press down with the thumb it drives the pick into that groove and keeps it there. So, the tear drop shape works best for me. So #1 is the CvH and a close second is the 1.8. A word or two about the ****. I ordered my CvH from **** and he asked if there was a pick I would like for free as a sample. I told him that was extremely generous and said whatever you think is best. He sent me that **** for free! What a great guy. I can see why the **** is probably many players first choice. It has a huge warm tone and is a pleasure for rhythm. For lead it has a full warm tone but much deeper than my favorite 2. They are both much more bright and clear. I will be ordering more CvH picks from **** because for me it is the perfect pick. I will update in few months. Cheers

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

@matthewkanis Is that a new auto-censor feature you're using to type with? 😂

rudolfochrist

Not sure what the deal is there. You guys know who i meant so it's cool.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Generally just about anything goes on the forum and I've always allowed casual mentions and reviews of products we don't stock or dealer's we compete with. However, for obvious reasons the forum is not a place to promote businesses which are in direct competition with DjangoBooks. Thanks for your understanding!

Michael

mac63000matthewkanisBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesjonpowl
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir

I'd just say, after years of being blasé and careless about picks, that they matter, big-time. Grip, bevel, slickness, even weight, all matter. The only good advice is to experiment without preconception or fear.

When you know, you'll know.

matthewkanisBuco

@flaco did you think about offering some of those homemade picks for sale? I'd get a couple. When you said you like them better than anything else and I see a Blue Chip which is my ultimate pick material I got very curious.

matthewkanis
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Great discussion. I've found that on several occasions in my GJ career, experimenting with a new pick can spice up my relationship with this music. It's kind of a simple and (relatively) inexpensive way to see and feel the music in a new, exciting way. Like most players, I started with a Wegen 3.5. Michael sold it to me when I bought my first GJ guitar from him 4 years ago. Once I got used to the bulkiness of them (I came to gypsy jazz from the jam band scene, where most players use cheap, thinner picks), I came to enjoy them. But I tended to wear them out fairly quickly (maybe it's due to my technique?) and I could feel the difference in the attack when they were starting to wear down. The cost irritated me too, I was used to buying 4 picks for $1.00! My next pick was Dunlop Gator Grips, the 1.5's. They were super cheap & didnt wear out as fast. I used the side of the pick with them, I found that helped me to play a little quieter for my rhythm. I played over 100 gigs in 2019 with those, and enjoyed them, but occasionally they flew out of my hand on the bandstand. Then, on the recommendation of the other guitar player in my band, I switched to the 2.0 Gator Grips, again using the side. But a few months ago, while gigless from the pandemic, I started experimenting with the **** 2.9, and I've fallen in love with it. It's pricey, but it's showing no signs of wear, after a few months of daily use. And it stays put in my hand. Just my 2 cents on the matter. It's a fun topic and can be a fun thing to obsess over. But like many obsessions, the choices are subject to change.

matthewkanisBucomac63000BillDaCostaWilliams

Current update:

Left to right: Big City 1.8, CvH and Tortoise Shell 2mm

The CvH is still a monster with very loud clear tone. The big city is still very much in my top 3 as it provides a loud tone, slightly more understated than the CvH but still excellent, and is really comfortable in my hand. I can always index it without looking and know right where the tip is.....I found a pick maker overseas with a stash of antique tortoise shell and he custom made me that pick in 2mm. That thing is the most comfortable pick I have ever held in my hand. The material just melds with my skin and feels awesome. For me, it does not move around like galalith, it stays perfectly put. But, the sound, is incredible! Not quite as loud as the CvH, though still loud and clear, but with this rich warmth and depth that I have not experienced with any other pick.

As I am obviously some sort of fiend or addict, I also ordered a Killy Nonis Turbo G in jade galalith and will post a pic and a review after it arrives and I have a chance to play with it. So, all in all, I can use any of those 3 picks in the picture and be totally happy with the sound and playability. I guess, in order of preference, they go shell, CvH and big city.

Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I'm surprised the tortoise shell pick made it through customs if it came from overseas. Especially if it is from the Hawksbill sea turtle, from which most of this old stuff was made. I'll bet it didn't say "tortoise guitar pick" on the customs form. Even if it was from some "secret stash" left over from long ago (and btw, it is estimated that the supply from prior to the final 1992 embargo is now exhausted though CITES was in force in 1978), that would likely be seized due to CITES laws unless you had extensive documentation accompanying it and requires special licensing--probably not worth it for the cost of a small guitar pick. Considering how notoriously brittle the material is, anything pre-CITES would probably be not worth much as a pick. I have a neighbor that works for Customs that brought a lot of the seized stuff to our Boy Scout troop for a show and tell. I'd be questioning the legality of the source and there are a lot of unscrupulous people who'd be happy to sell you most anything people desire (rhino horn, alligator skin, snow leopard pelt, etc.)

But don't take my word for it, you can read about it here at the Sea Turtle Conservancy website

https://conserveturtles.org/11503-2/

• edited July 2020 Posts: 92

The maker was quite clear that the pick is not subject to cites and it was labeled clearly. But thank you for your input. Always appreciate other people's ideas and experiences.

Before my Father passed away, he was very involved in the buying and selling of antiques. Over the years I saw many pieces ornamented with tortoise shell that were all made prior to the embargo. Things such as hat boxes, jewelry cases, handles of straight razors, etc. This was all done completely legally. I am guessing a person can still buy one of these antiques, take it apart and re purpose the parts of it in any way they see fit, such as making themselves some guitar picks. Perhaps then selling them would be another matter, I am not sure. But being an environmentally conscious person, I will be much more careful in the future as I certainly do not want to endanger the well being of any creature. Again, always appreciate all of your input.

billyshakes