DjangoBooks.com

Auction Bargains

Comments

Its all too tempting! Very tempting. So i resist. Lovely guitars all. Brexit has made it a bit easier to say no as additional costs do apply 20% VAT (UK buying from EU). Some also don't want to ship outside EU due to paperwork or perceived paperwork. CITIES i hadnt clocked but probably does come into play. All got a bit more difficult!!

However i just got the Couesnon Chorus from Germany recently no problems. Took 4 days cheap postage! Cheap price €83 so the 20% was in budget due to pin bridge fiasco. Cities doesn't apply to plywood obviously. But i got lucky.

Still like those guitars tho.

@Willie: the Heart Hole guitars were build by Joseph Di Mauro who didn't sign his guitars with an brandmark like his brother Antoine Di Mauro did!

AndyW
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@Djangheureux

Thank you for the information, didn't know this.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

Yeah, nicely spotted Chris, that's surely a DiMauro . Yet it's the little Patenotte that' appeals to my love of rescuing beautiful old guitars, despite the seriously tricky repairs required to inlays, back, top and fingerboard.

p.s did you notice the guitar, "guitare théorbée" and cello by Antonio Monzino Milano, as illustrated elsewhere in the "Sicilian Folk " thread? (one is mislabelled Mozzino) .

Looks like his cellos are more highly prized than the various guitars ;-)

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Antoine Di Mauro, like many of his contemporary Sicilian/Parisian luthiers also made many guitars without any branding for other retailers to add their own labels, many of which, being just a piece of paper glued inside have long since been lost. Yes there were also supposedly many occasions when various luthiers may have shared bodies or necks around to fill orders, so some guitars may be by more than one maker. The question here was, although unbranded, is this by A Di Mauro?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 959

Sorry, I thought he was questioning the provenance of the Boogie Woogie lookalike in my post which also is not signed. But this all goes to show how many people rely on labels and recognised names rather than trust their own eyes and judgement. Many great guitars in the GJ style are not signed by anyone, and there is always specualtion, but go with your gut and you probably will not be far wrong (see also the post about a fake Dupont).

AndyW asked "did you notice the guitar, "guitare théorbée" and cello by Antonio Monzino Milano, as illustrated elsewhere in the "Sicilian Folk " thread? (one is mislabelled Mozzino) ." and I have to reply, no I did not.

Went back, still can't find it, other than the old shop photo but no mention of "guitare théorbée". One thing did catch my interest; the lyre shape device third from left next to the upright bass guitars. Also, I did worry about the safety of the mandolin on the chair, hopefully just put there for the photo, not its normal home?

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

@ChrisMartin

I meant the Boogie Woogie.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

here's the two vintage Monzino guitars, for future reference, though we are drifting away from the 'gypsy jazz bargains' topic here LoL😀

The "Théorbée" has an additional three drone strings (each with its separate 'nut' ), so you can fire your bass player.

BillDaCostaWilliams

An interesting Couesnon oval hole- 5 piece neck & 14 frets to the body, I don't think I've seen this style before.

due on the block near Orleans on 10 January, "Estimation : 60 - 80 €" , which I'd pay happily.

There's a nice old Castellucia in the sale too.

BillDaCostaWilliamsChrisMartinWilliejonpowlLango-Django