DjangoBooks.com

Auction Bargains

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Wow ! That's a beauty. Are you going for it ?

always learning
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

nah, too much trouble with packing & insurance & fees & post-Brexit CITES certification & import taxes ...

maybe one day I'll take a drive through France & smuggle a couple of instruments home in the car.

Plus- I'm "officially" saving up for that fellow's Stefano Caponnetto over in Airdrie...

[must give you a call sometime, Alan - best wishes to you & J for the new year from me and A]

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

Your'e a handy man to know Andy.

You play beautifully, you lifted me up, Alan was the safety net. Who the hell was I to judge you all.

Hope to see you soon. I'll try learn some more tunes.

You inspired me to copy my dad, and showed me it could be done with a man with patience and will.

Thanks for keeping the music alive !

Thanks Alan too for that one night quiet night we all played beautifully together and were all right sized and listening. I felt it too, I long for more.

Love to all the boys, especially the Ricardo's. Handy men too.

Thanks your boys showing me how to play nicely with others. I've had so much help and so many gifts were given and I claimed them all as mine as if I had bought them all myself.

D.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 600

Yay! - it's Vichy Encheres biannnual auction time.

Alongside the usual French suspects (DiMauro, Gerome, Patenotte, Miller)....

..... there's a couple of interesting / unusual vintage specials, like this, which I feel someone will recognise:

and this 14 fretter, labelled for Paul Beuscher, but made by .. who??

another with 14 fret to the case, round hole and beautiful patina - but who made it , and how would it sound??

I might be in France for the late-Autumn sale, we'll see what I bring home, if anything.

Probably cheese, wine and saxophones ;-)

Buco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Tantalising.

Buco
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Another interesting bait in that Vichy sale. Looks nice, anyone have any idea of the luthier? And note the tailpiece, like the Sonora type without the treble clef in the middle, similar to that which AndyW posted in the 'Sicilian Folk Guitar' thread as fitted to both a D'Angelo and a Grimaldi, both Sicilian. So who made this one?

billyshakes

there are one or two guitars in that sale that look like "brand new neck on an old body" hybrids - I've never seen that 14 fret, flat-planed unsculpted headstock and truss rod combination on any vintage examples e.g. the old Sonoras. There's another one looks like an old D-hole Olivieri body with a brand new neck. Fun speculating, but I'd avoid, ymmv.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Could be right, they claim no name, age or pedigree but if it sells near the estimate it must be worth a try for someone in France or nearby. With your new Brexit rules and me being the other side of the world the additional costs mean we can't risk it anyway.

An interesting old guitar for sale via auction soon, at first I though "re-labelled Henri Miller" or perhaps "Rene Gerome", but there are some differences in the body shape, especially at the upper bout, and in other details . Classical and Flamenco guitars by Julian Gomez Ramirez sell for well into 4 figures, so it's interesting to see this very early Ramirez jazz guitar from 1925 with a pre-sale estimate of 100 - 200 €. If anyone has other ideas on its attribution, please chip in. The auction is in Montluçon, also home of the Musée des Musiques Populaires, which looks worthy of a visit. [I've no connection to the sale.]

db5Willie
    edited October 2022 Posts: 600

Interesting mix of vintage gypsy guitars among the lots in this autumn's sale at Vichy in France. (4/nov/22)

choice of 4 Selmers: the petite bouche 14-fret would be most folk's choice:

---

Di Mauro well represented: 2 St Louis blues , a Chorus (my pick of the sale), and an older mystery with a "Jose Gonzales" label

---

and a mixed handful of other guitars, with Beuscher (=Castellucia?), a black Patenotte and a Jacques Favino grande-bouche all in the sale.

I've no connection to the sale, but I will fly to the south of France if someone else is paying ;-)

More info, pics, estimates, bidding, etc. via interencheres. Bon chance.

-A-

Lango-DjangoBucoBillDaCostaWilliamswim