DjangoBooks.com

Auction Bargains

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,457

Great article with great pictures, thanks!

Any guesses what the Selmer #700 will auction for?

More pics here, seems in decent condition although looks as though it has been decapitated and repaired at some stage https://www.interencheres.com/meubles-objets-art/vente-dinstruments-a-vent-a-cordes-pincees-et-de-musique-populaire-314126/lot-33380809.html

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

There are couple of pre-war Selmers in next month's quarterly guitar sale at Gardiner Houlgate in Bath, UK.

Nowt to do wi' me, good luck if you bid for them.

-A-

BucoJangle_Jamie

I'll take the one on the right. Those are some awesome stripes happening on the top.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • stuologystuology New
    edited May 2023 Posts: 196

There’s a Levin Deluxe in the same auction at a more affordable price, which has some curiosity value for Django fans. I don’t think he ever played one, but there’s an iconic photo of Django holding Freddie Guy’s Levin Deluxe when he was touring with Duke - https://auctions.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/catalogue/lot/4e691ff144bfd66c046f743125a8291d/63b778f7668dabe928d3800924a99077/the-guitar-auction-three-day-sale-including-guitars-lot-180/

Also a small handful of luthier made Selmer copies - David Hodson, JWC etc

DoubleWhisky
  • stuologystuology New

And even more curious is this 12-string guitar, which looks to my eyes like it has been inspired by Maccaferri - not a guitar I’ve come across before.

https://auctions.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/catalogue/lot/415ff74b20c501e2d1b77d8e2df2b8ef/63b778f7668dabe928d3800924a99077/the-guitar-auction-three-day-sale-including-guitars-lot-228/

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Yes I saw that one. I rather like the design and the proportions, but I'm not a player of 12 strings.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Interesting to see the D hole Selmer original went for £10,500 GBP, plus 26% and shipping (about £13,200?).

I bid on the David Hodson O hole (which looked rather nice with birds eye maple and lovely fret inlays) and just missed out - it went for £650 and my max was £630. That's probably about £850 with shipping and commission. Not bad, but too much for me for a guitar I haven't played.

I think the Rob Aylwood rebuilt Selmer D hole went unsold. I'm not sure what was left from the original though?!

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I nearly bid on an epiphone regent archtop which then sold for just £320 (= £430 or so all inc) . On higher end stuff like the Selmers I always worry I’d be competing with rockstars who buy them with their pocket money.

But I need to sell a few things. Anyone want a Rene Gerome or a Pietro Bucolo from the 1950s??

I'd be interested Andy, if I could try them. If you're up Fort William/Glen Coe way anytime, let me know. I'll get to Glasgow sometime too.

edited June 2023 Posts: 187

Here's an interesting looking tenor Selmer. The fingerboard doesn't look central to the guitar, and looks to have been converted from a six string guitar - new piece of wood on the back and also on the top to the side of the fingerboard. Check out that crude headstock gouging. I like the HSC tuners though - they look genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125971146908