DjangoBooks.com

Small tube amp quest

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small tube amp, preferably with reverb, that might be available used for under $1000? I love my Fender Blues Jr but I'd like to find something smaller & lighter. I read the recent thread started by Feruza2134 about the overdriven GJ sound & the reference to Nuance amps, but it looks like they aren't currently available from the maker. And I couldn't find any used with a quick internet search.

Comments

• edited August 2021 Posts: 1,231

Pro Jr. -15 Watts, one volume, one tone. No reverb. ~$500 or less. This has been my go to amp for rock gigs around NYC areas for years. I've barely turned it past 4. Augment with a good reverb (Strymon or something like that) and you meet your price. It's probably a little less heavy than your Blues Jr, but I think these sound better.

57 Champ Reissue - 5 watts, 15 lbs, one knob (volume), handwired, $1099 new. Again, you'd need an offboard reverb, but this would be something I'd go for (or something similar) if I was not pleased with the Princeton Reverb and Pro Jr.

MikeKJSanta
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

No built in reverb, but the Fender '57 Champ is an awesome little tube amp. If I ever start gigging in this style, that would be an amp I'd likely grab for myself.

MikeK
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Jim & JSanta--thanks for your suggestions. I'll check these out. Due to the fact that I'm pretty committed to going straight through the amp with no pedals/effects, I may have to divorce myself from the touch of reverb that I like so much. But if a lighter amp will save my aching lower back from shoving the trusty old Blues Jr in & out of my car week after week, I think it'll be worth it. Thanks again.

I'm a fan of Hughes and Kettner. Have the 20W combo, (and 100W head from my headbanging days) which sounds amazing but it's not practical for what I do now. Here's their Tubemeister 5W combo at the really good price. Wish I could jump on it myself:

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I completely appreciate that perspective. I'd grab the Champ and a Fender Marine Layer Reverb pedal, but that's a solution that would work for me. Reverb is important to my amplified tone as well.

• Understood, but as a completely committed gear whore, I can say that something like this does sound pretty great:

Buco
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

You migh want to take a look at these little Supros too:

15 watts and only $649. They have a cool vintage look too.

Buco
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Thanks Jim & JSanta, I'll have to meditate on the idea of a reverb pedal. Nomadgtr--nice find. I'm definitely going to look into the Delta King 12 further. If it sounds as hip as it looks, we may have a winner!

nomadgtrJSanta
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I bought a Bugera 5 watt valve amp about 10 years ago, never been happy with it. So, recently I bought a Vox av15. Still working on achieving a good Django sound but for £180 I'm more than happy with it. It's not too heavy and plenty loud enough. The built-in reverb sounds OK.

always learning
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The question will be, which of the colorways will you choose? Both look great to me!