DjangoBooks.com

Small tube amp quest

1235»

Comments

@Buco none of my amps have reverb. Never been my thing. Though I did have a fender reverb tank. Mmmmm so much drip and splash.

I want ALL the reverb or NONE.

DoubleWhiskyBuco
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Gig report--the Supro did great on my gig last night. My rhythm was clean & warm while my solos were clear & dark, yet biting and gritty when I dug in, all with a hint of reverb. Good call, nomadgtr. Full disclosure--that was with my trusty Epiphone. I find myself obsessed with Django's electric stuff these days, so I'm using the archtop on all of my gigs that will allow it. At some point, I'll try the Altamira/Krivo combination through the Supro at a gig & see how it handles that. But for now, I'm in archtop heaven, especially knowing I have the Blues Jr as a fine back-up to the Supro. Thanks, forum.

TwangBuconomadgtrbillyshakesvanmalmsteenScoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I think the Epiphone has a lot to do with it. I have matched closely Django's sound on this recording...starting at 2minutes...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5LxioMj70

I could not do this with a magnetic pickup on my Selmac guitar. When I went to my ES336 I got it real close.

steffoBuco

No doubt, Scoredog. I cant get enough of Django's electric stuff these days, that recording of Belleville is a perfect example. And I agree, the Epiphone is a crucial component for me as well, as I explore the joys of chasing that luscious tone. How about his tone on this version of Billet Doux?!

https://youtu.be/KDXIoD_yZPw

steffoBuconomadgtrwimvanmalmsteen
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Yeah electric Django is really hip!

I find I can get there using a peche and clean boost like a tube screamer with the gain set low and the volume past half way.

Hey @MikeK, how's the Supro Delta 12 going? Still enjoying it? I'm thinking about getting one, seems like a great amp.

Just discovered I had this below saved as a draft...

I heard the tone @Scoredog is mentioning and it's dead on, pure electric Django.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Travis, Buco--it's nice to see this thread come back around. I couldn't be more pleased with the Supro. I've been using it with my Altamira/Krivo (trio with upright bass & violin), and with my Epiphones (weekly trio gigs as well as duo gigs with both of us on archtops). It's a great sounding amp in all situations. I had a minor problem with it a month or so ago (it took an unusually long amount of time to warm up at gigs on standby), but with a replacement 6L6, problem solved. I still love my Blues Jr, but it's now a back-up to my Delta King. I've received quite a few compliments on my tone recently too, both with the gypsy guitar and the Epiphones.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsnomadgtr
  • SwedeinLASwedeinLA New

Not sure if you're looking for a Django specific sound or just a convincing jazz tone. You can get a better thank ok jazz tone with a boss katana for 300 bucks. The bonus is that you also get hundreds of effects and good tones from crunch to full on metal easily dialed in. I have a marshall Plexi with a 4x12 with celestion 65's, a 73 silverface pro reverb and a deluxe reverb reissue, and I use the katana 90% of the time. Hahaha.

@MikeK thanks for the update. Sounds like you are gigging a lot, which is awesome. Glad the Supro is working out. I'll go try one out at my local music shop. I have a fender champion 600 with a few mods and it sounds great, the only thing is it breaks up a bit too early so the Supro Delta 12 seems like the next logical step. @SwedeinLA I'm searching for more of a Django sound currently but will check out that boss katana 👍️

MikeK