DjangoBooks.com

Small tube amp quest

Comments

We really are. So much great sounding stuff at not too crazy price. I'm guessing none of these mentioned are US made?

You know, and this might be heresy, if I was getting a new amp today, I'd be seriously considering a digital modeling amp. The best of them today are making it nearly impossible to tell a difference.

vanmalmsteenbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • @Buco I've used Quilter heads and the Strymon Iridium on gigs, including my main GJ gig. They're quite good and quite dynamic.

Buco
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

I've had a Vintage 47 Ric Supreme for years - fantastic amp with great sound for blues or jazz.

http://www.vintage47amps.com/Ric-Style/

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles

Vintage 47 see made in the USA

Buco
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

The store called to say the Supro is in, I'll check it out tomorrow & report back. "Buco the Heretic"! Sounds like a good stage name. On a related note, since a lot of these suggested small tube amps dont have reverb, I turned mine all the way down on the Blues Jr at my gig on Wednesday to see how it sounded. I quickly got used to the dry sound & didnt miss it a bit. How quickly the ear adapts!

BucoScoredog
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 4,742

Interestingly, there was a Bosnian church in medieval times that followed Christianity but kept themselves independent from the Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy. Was popular among people and held some very forward views for the time which created a schism with Rome and prompted them to declare the Bosnian church heretics.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program...

I was never a fan of reverb with the electric guitar. I was surprised once I eventually realized that I'm in minority there. When I record acoustic guitar nowadays, I'll add some reverb but if I'm playing a gig using my tube amp with Krivo pickup, reverb is at 0.

Interested to hear how you like the Supro.

MikeKWillie

Update--I bought the Supro Delta King 12 and I love it. It's not much lighter & smaller than my Blues Jr (as Jim pointed out), but it sounds fantastic with my Epiphone. It gets me closer to that classic Django archtop sound I love so much. I'll use it on my gig on Saturday (the real test), but I really love how warm & dark it sounds in the practice room. I'll report back. If it does as good on the bandstand as it does in the practice room, my trusty Blues Jr will become my back-up amp. After all, we all need at least 2 amps, right?!

nomadgtrBillDaCostaWilliamsJSantarudolfochristBucotnhughes

We always just need one more and that's it. Is that a lot to ask?

vanmalmsteenbillyshakesMikeK
  • TwangTwang New

would you say you get more clean headroom from your Delta King than the Blues Junior? Or maybe clean headroom has never been an issue for you anyway?

Asking as a fellow BJ owner.

I'll know more on Saturday, Twang, after I employ the Supro on my gig. There's no substitute for cranking your amp a bit with a band. But from what I've heard so far, with the various settings I've experimented with at home, I'd say the Supro starts to break up a little sooner. But that's not a problem for me. If I can lean into that Django 50's tone at a lower volume, I'm pleased. Also, I love that the Supro has a standby switch, while my Blues Jr did not. Dont get me wrong, I love my tweed Blues Jr & have played many fun gigs with it. But so far, it looks like the Supro will edge it for me by a nose, leaving me with a splendid backup amp.

BuconomadgtrTwang