DjangoBooks.com

Other European guitars

Comments

• gaddyiiigaddyiii New

Mainly curious about bracing type and top thickness. Also, what kind of strings are typically used?

I'm yet to get a full idea of the sound of these violas, as the recordings I've found usually have portuguese guitars playing circles around them constantly (not that there's anything wrong with that). I assume they pack a good punch in the lows and low mids, as that seems to be what comes through in fado ensembles.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

there are quite a few solo lessons on "viola de fado" on youtube , where we can get an idea of their solo sound -though in a few, the teachers may be using nylon top strings....

I've seen the term "violao de fado" and "viola de fado" used seemingly interchangeably, I'm unclear on the exact differences, if any - violao sometimes seems to imply larger acoustic guitars, or Brasilaian style 7 -string acoustic.

I've never seen anything about the actual bracing & construction differences, but I have read that they're braced differently to support the higher tension of the full set of steel strings. Some of these fado violas look a little longer-bodied than typical sizes of Spanish classical or flamenco guitar, but all use a fixed bridge in the top.

I don't doubt there are many more expensive luthier options, but the Viola-de-Fados I most commonly see for sale are from makers like APC and Artimusica. see some pics & prices for e.g. here: https://www.salaomusical.com/pt/1060-violas-de-fado

I have a guitarra Portugessa from APC , their cheapest Lisboa-style model, for learning on, and it's a nice little instrument: resonant, playable and well constructed.

I'd imagine that many of our gypsy guitars would serve well to get the sound close to the fado accompaniment sound, needing perhaps a change of strings & a fingernail-picking / palm-muting approach

(and much more basic chord voicings :-) )

I too would be interested if @Bill Da Costa Williams spoke to his luthier friend about the bracing and other differences from the Spanish guitars.

gaddyiii
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Update on viola de fado queries:

Talked with luthier Vitor Paulo this week and these were his comments:

Although steel string violas de fado are common, accompanists in fado groups may alternatively play a classical nylon string. These would be strung so as to provide higher tension than used by classical players;

The steel string violas have a stronger construction to allow for higher tension: traditionally with a steel rod in the neck, though many use a carbon fibre rod today;

The lower priced models may not be a good choice - pro models tend to be in the 3000 to 4000 € range

Top thickness is similar to that of classical guitars.

He was working on a 1980s viola de fado (pictured) as we spoke, its currently

strung with nylon strings, and on having had a look at the bracing he reports that its similar to that of classical guitars.

Incidentally the term violão is used in Brazil to refer to acoustic guitars

WilliegaddyiiiAndyW
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Thanks for that Bill. I used to travel to Portugal a lot in the '70s to '90s and caught many Fado artists and the line up always seemed to be singer, Portuguese guitar and what I always thought to be a standard nylon strung Spanish or classical guitar. The latter usually had a nice strong tone though, is that coming from what you mean by 'higher tension'?

As in just a set of high tension strings or do they use heavier than normal strings or tune differently?

Whatever, I certainly never remember any steel string guitars being used.

AndyW
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited May 2022 Posts: 827

At the fleamarket for musical instruments today. Sold my little Framus, bought a ukulele for my nursery school groups, and saw several charming guitars:

My market stall: Stevens custom built electric slide bouzouki, 1963 Framus Capri or Stella, 1960 Framus Studio, Baton Rouge baritone uke, signal horn, 1963 Besson Stratford trumpet (fine instrument!), and a walking stick trumpet.

Framus.

Wolfgang Hüttl (Pique Dame?).

Neumann.

Couldn't get more precise information about the guitars.

AndyWBuco

The Hüttl in fact is a Pique Dame model, which was produced in the 50ies and 60ies.

Most pictures of Pique Dames that I found in the internet show them with this type of tailpiece:

But there is a catalogue picture that shows that the tailpiece of the fleamarket Hüttl should be original:

http://www.schlaggitarren.de/home.php?text=hersteller&kenn=68

BillDaCostaWilliamsAndyWBuco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Gosh - rich pickings.

I recall that the Pique Dame was one of the fanciest of the Huttl range.

Willie, do you recall how much they were asking for this one? I like the Black Rose finish.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Another vote for the Huttl here. I have never caught one yet, obviously rare in Australia, I will have to buy from Europe, but yes, a lot of the fancier German archtops look best in the Black Rose finish. As for the tailpiece, I wouldn't worry, as with other brands they often changed, I think both of these types were made by a separate supplier, they are often seen on Hofner, Hoyer etc and maybe they simply used whatever was in stock? I had one similar on a Hoyer I sold recently.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
    edited June 2022 Posts: 827

Another flea market, this time the guitars I took photos of are of no collector's interest -but colorful:

Looks like someone prepared several cheapos for selling them at markets.

BillDaCostaWilliams