DjangoBooks.com

Other European guitars

Comments

Ah, of course, should've been obvious. Maybe it was me hoping to get a story out of it. Remo isn't the often mentioned name in jazz circles unfortunately.

Radiofm74
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Radiofm74Radiofm74 New Di Mauro Boogie Woogie
    edited September 2022 Posts: 18

True, and he certainly deserves a lot more recognition even though his output was relatively small due to his career choices.

In any case, I'd be hard pressed to name a swing-to-bop guitarist with quite the same elegance and I often turn to his solos for ideas (spoken as a true fan of Barney's, BTW ;D). I've been entertaining the idea of putting up a web page about Remo… He is one of the greats of jazz guitar, as far as I am concerned.

Sorry for the total OT! Back to European guitars!!!

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Eko fretless acoustic bass at the flea market, BA series around 1980 as far as I know. Wanted to buy it for school, but 300 € seemed too much to me:

Buco
    edited October 2022 Posts: 839

Learned about Eko first in the late 60ies, when my neighbor at school played the song "Piangi con me (Weep with me)" with his band, one of the great hits of Italian band The Rokes. Eko had several unusual shaped guitars named "Rokes" who were made popular by the band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eko_Guitars

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes

The pic with the three guitars and the pic with the five guitars on the couch are showing twelve string models (3: center; 5: far left and middle left). The rather unusual placement of the tuning pegs cannot be seen clearly, so I am posting this pic of another Eko Rokes twelve string headstock:

But they also used the traditional construction:

Further information about Eko and The Rokes:

https://www.hendrixguitars.com/Va166.htm

That looks like a PITA to re-string.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

re. the 12 string headstock, I'm surprised the Rickenbacker copyright lawyers didn't come after them.

@AndyW Rickenbacker wiki says that they developed the 12 string guitar with the new application of the tuning pegs in 1964. Eko developed the Rokes guitars the same year. I think they did not start with the 12 string, which wcould mean that this special headstock indeed was copied from Rickenbacker. The Eko Rokes guitars were produced between 1967 and 1970, they did not sell that good international. Is it possible that the Rickenbacker management did not know about the plagiarism?

• krzyskrzys New

Not quite European, but I did not want to make a whole new thread.

In 1936 the Vietnamese đàn ghi ta phím lõm was made by scalloping the neck of a "French guitar" and is still produced to this day in a familiar aesthetic for playing cải lương theatre music. Possibly someone brought some Selmers to Indochina back in the day?

BucoWillieBillDaCostaWilliams