DjangoBooks.com

Other European guitars

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Sometimes I have a bit of clean out so I decided it was time to take some photos. Some of these will be turning up in the next few days on ebay and Reverb (cheaper on the latter though as their fees are lower). First here are some of those odd Bulgarians, the black one I may keep.

Then there are a couple of Sicilians, the Musikalia has that odd Jose Sanchez label as I mentioned before. Instantly recognised as a Musikalia by the Leone family in Sicily, it was sold through Gaillard & Loiselet shop in Lyon so acquired one of their fictitious 'Sanchez' labels. The Genovesi I will probably swap the tailpiece as that cast one would probably be worth more than the guitar to someone restoring a Sonora. Also, I still need to work out how to make a convincing decorative scratchplate, for now it has a plain black one with a Sicilian flag, but when I get it as I want it, it will make a fine little 'fingerpicker'. Probably not for sale as nobody is going to make an offer good enough anyway. The Musikalia could be for sale at around AU$600 (US$420) but if the Di Mauro below goes I would be happy to keep it.

Two lovely vintage Di Mauro guitars, one is a nicely aged St Louis Blues which I will sell for AU$3,000 (about US$2,100 today). The Di Mauro Honolulu Hawaiian guitar is exceptionally clean for what is probably a 1950s guitar, that I will sell for AU$1,800 (US$1,250) both of course, plus shipping.

And while we are on odd European guitars, here is my Paul Beuscher resonator. These are rare even in France and this one dates from between 1953 and 1957. They made these until 1971 but the neck on this one is signed by David Enesa who died in '57 making it one of the early ones. Recent research suggests the bodies were made by Selmer. A French historian interviewed one of the Selmer family and he said he definitey remembered metal guitar bodies being made there and the timing would coincide nicely with Selmer getting out of the guitar market but still having their saxophone factory with its metalworking capabilities. Anyway, as I said research is ongoing, but since I took some care setting this one up it now really does have 'the sound' and it can honk out some good old Son House or Tampa Red when I am in the mood. (Ignore the matching uke' that is a recent Chinese made one, just keeping company). I would like to keep this one, but as the old saying goes; "everything is for sale, it is just the price that is the question" so it would take a pretty good offer to tempt me to part with it.

There will be a few other cheapies for sale too, an Asian archtop in 'Blueburst' finish, an Indonesian Squier Tele and a couple of Spanish guitars, just more stuff taking up space that I rarely play but apart from the Admira (far right) these are not even European guitars.

WilliebillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsRadiofm74
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 959

And no, I am not quitting guitar, just trying to narrow down the styles and tricks I want to play for myself and avoid too many distractions. So anyway, these two are my definite 'keepers'. The Chorus style acoustic was made for me about ten years ago by Tony Petrarca in France (so definitely European!) with a spruce top, flamed maple back and sides and one of his own tailpieces. I serves me well for my Django noodlings and with a Krivo added it also has a nice smooth 'jazz box' tone.

The electric is a Burns King Cobra. Yes, it was made in Asia, but Burns WAS a British company, and Britain WAS part of Europe, so......anyway, some would write it off as just another Strat copy, but with the Burns Tri-Sonic pickups it has a voice of its own, a bit richer than a Fender and all the better for it. PLUS I was lucky enough to get Hank Marvin to sign the pickguard for me when he was on his Gypsy Jazz tour in Australia a few years ago, and of course for those who remember, Hank was known for playing Burns guitars back in the 1960s so a neat link there too.

BucoWilliebillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited November 2022 Posts: 827

On a trip to our family in Dellwig in the west of Germany my brother-in-law showed me this remarkable sightseeing. I didn't want to open a new thread "Tombs of unknown guitar players", so I thougt by myself that this quite surely was a European guitar:

November 27th:

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucotnhughes
    edited August 2022 Posts: 827

At the flea market again this morning, never heard of the brand before:

The label says

ABRAMUSIC

Francesco Abramo

ARTISTICI MODERNI

STRUMENTI MUSICALI A CORDi

Via Messina, 187 * CATANIA * (Sicilia - Italy)

This little tenor banjo is in a good condition, with a straight neck and almost no scratch. Wonder how old it might be.

BucoChrisMartinBillDaCostaWilliams

The instrument seems to be made in the 60's or even earlier. Internet says that Maestro Abramo moved from Via Messina to Piazza Ottorino Respighi in the 60's, where he ran his workshop until the 90's : https://www.fetishguitars.com/sicily-southern-italy/francesco-abramo-abramusic/, https://www.accordo.it/article/viewPub/80505.

ChrisMartin

Sold some brass on the fleamarket today (a trumpet and an old hunting horn) and shot pictures of some vintage guitars and gear, part of them being of European origin:

50ies Seifert

Höfner

Epiphone

Framus Bass

Old Japanese

Danelectro

Silvertone

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

And you weren't tempted at all, Willie?

I solemnly swear it! 😈

BillDaCostaWilliams

That is some 'flea market' !

Ok, Hofners and Framus might turn up anywhere, but a Siefert ? I have always been a sucker for German archtops, even though I often find I can't get on with those old fifties models with their thick baseball bat necks.

And whats the story with that 19th century looking 'Romantic' style guitar? The label says Neubauer but looks too new?

Anyway, keep posting more.....

edited September 2022 Posts: 827

Heinz Seifert http://www.schlaggitarren.de/home.php?text=hersteller&kenn=76

Helmut Neubauer http://www.schlaggitarren.de/home.php?text=hersteller&kenn=38 and his father Anton both worked for Hoyer before running their own workshop, producing (and probably restoring) modern and historic instruments http://www.schlaggitarren.de/home.php?text=historie&kenn=6.

The fleamarket is organized two times a year by No.1 Guitar Center https://www.no1-guitars.de/, situated in the old Ottensen ironworks:

BillDaCostaWilliams