DjangoBooks.com

Reverse La Pompe

Comments

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

If each beat is a triplet, then it's the first 2 beats of that triplet. Now do that on the first beat and the 3rd beat of the 4 beat measure. The first strike of the pick happens on the downbeat.

btw, you need to come to dfnw, i wanna jam with you!

Buco
  • stuologystuology New
    edited August 2023 Posts: 196

I think I know what Rip means, just moving whatever you do for the 1st and 3rd beats (however you want to describe it) to the 2 and 4. I can't say I've heard any gypsy jazzers play like this, it sounds a little bit like ska, maybe the gypsy ska crossover has finally been discovered?

Ripbbwood_98Buco

It sounds normal to me.

But maybe the lead is getting in the way.

Rip
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I listened to it briefly too and didn't hear anything off, but then I didn't go back or analyze it any further.

I suspect there was just a bit of rhythmic displacement similar to that famous Harry Connick 5/4 video that is all over youtube. If I'm not fully aware of where the downbeat of measure one is, I might just hear it as if it is on the 1 and 3. My brain just shifts it over.

Rip
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@stuology and @Rip Aw yeah, now that is a thought! Django-Ska; Skaology . . . hmmm.

😀🤣😉

Rip
    edited August 2023 Posts: 352

I was definitely overplaying so I covered it up to much, but here is a picture of what i was doing. This convo can only happen on djangobooks!

Edit - play air guitar with the recording using your picking hand

DoubleWhiskyBuco

This convo can only happen on djangobooks!

So true 🤣

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

I see what you are saying. But I don't hear it.

What you drew in theory doesn't swing. That looks more like a straight Latin thing.

I think you are just swinging harder than you normally do.

Maybe you are normally a laid-back swing and this is just pushing a bit.

Wait I think I got it. Did you record the rhythm and then lead?

If so, maybe you just "corrected" your rhythm by Displacing the beat by a triplet eighth note.

Possible?