DjangoBooks.com

Reverse La Pompe

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Its been ~21 years since I was at DFNW. Would love to, but it is all the way across the country for me and I've got young kids. Give me another decade or so! ;-)

I hear the upstroke, yes. I think some comments were made based only on your description, without listening to your Rose room audio track. That's I think what was throwing me off throughout the discussion.

Sitting on my balcony having a beer and doing a little practice. Here's my best attempt at reverse LP

It actually does have the effect like when you record something and they play it back backwards. It could be a nice effect in a band (not in a jam). Bassist in my old band liked to pedal on 2 and 4 occasionally, this would probably work along with that.

DoubleWhiskyRipChristopheCarington
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew
    edited August 2023 Posts: 339

Buco, to me it sounds more like you are doing the bottom one than the top. do you agree?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I tried a little of this last night. Set the metronome to tick on all 4 beats and then tried to play my upstroke on the 1&3 as you illustrate in the top line. Started to hurt my brain. I couldn't feel it as well as you, as Christophe mentioned in his comment. But crazier things have been done in music. If you like the sound, continue on with it. Forge your own path!

• DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Hello, with horror I have followed this thread. I contacted the Jazz police and as I assumed the so called "reverse la pompe" is strictly forbidden. Please refrain from this practice. Criminal charges is put.

littlemarkbbwood_98wimBucobillyshakes
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 4,784

I have no idea man, I just put the upstroke prior to 2 and 4 and tried to make sense out of it as best as I could.

Which, your diagram, I'm not even entirely sure how to look at it...does each triplet group represent a beat in a 4/4 measure? Then where there are two arrows in a triplet, is this where you play the upstroke? Like the first arrow in a group would be the upstroke?

Edit; I tried to play with my interpretation of the diagram and yes, in my video I'd be playing your "not this" version. I tried the top "this" version, it feels very awkward for me at high tempo, it would take time and practice to make it smooth.

yes the arrows represent the strumming, but i like what you did also. Anyway the chances of me using any of this are slim to none and i often don't even use upstrokes, lol.

littlemark

police officer: looks like you were doing some reverse la pompe, may i see your swinging license?

ok, your not a gypsy, you are free to go, just stay out the better jam circles.

me: thank you officer. (turns grateful dead back on)

bbwood_98DoubleWhiskyBuco

Boy, did you send us to school with this one...