DjangoBooks.com

Reverse La Pompe

Comments

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

lol, that's probably what happened, because i did record the rhythm like i wrote it, but the lead flipped it all around. Trippy.

Buco

You may be onto something. Because that rhythm sounds really good. Playing and thinking in these terms, it could be that something happens to the sound that way, but then as you did, flip it the other way, the way it's usually done. And voila!

I'd love to come to DFNW. And eventually I will but it's going to be a while. Maybe I end up playing rhythm for somebody that gets invited to play there?! Why don't you come to DiJ? @Scoredog is considering next year too.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

ok, well I'll see you in the future! I want to check out dij, I've heard good things. until then, see around the forum✌️

Buco
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited August 2023 Posts: 187

I listened to your recording and I've heard this "reverse la pompe" with a lot of players new to the style. When super tight sounds very close to a drummer playing their ride in a 40's / 50's jazz band. When not tight, it just sounds bad. I would recommend never playing this way without a drummer (and I'd probably not even do it with a drummer).

2 & 4 need to be crisp, clear, and consistent to keep the entire band locked in. Reverse la pompe fills the space before 2 & 4, making the beat harder to feel. And if the band isn't locking in on 2 & 4 most of the time... you're not gonna swing.

interesting, i hadn't heard it, but i don't get out much. it seems more suitable for a really good jazz drummer. i'll just brake it out in the dead of night😆 thanks for the info!

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Posts: 874

I was going to leave this alone but maybe against my better judgement decided not to. First and based upon the response by many of the readers on this thread a lot of them liked how this sounded, myself included. I get if it does not strike your fancy then of course you don't use it but personally I thought it was an interesting approach and it worked. Notes in music have no ego only people do so if something sounds good it is good unless one wants to play "well that's not how it is supposed be done card". Listening to those kind of critiques are dangerous and don't help the creative process, actually just the opposite. To say this won't work with a bassist is hogwash...if a band wanted to work on this feel as opposed to regular La Pompe then I believe a good groove would come with it based on the players executing it, though after a while it might get tiring to listen to. This took a single pass to play over...

Notes have no ego...only people do.

Nice bass playing Craig! Look forward to jamming with you at dfnw!✌️🎶

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@Scoredog - let's not get passive aggressive here.

First, I'm giving feedback to @Rip's original question. I do think his "reverse pompe" is on the better side (which I didn't state before). However, I also caution against using it, especially in a drummer-less setting. Occasional groove change for a song is one thing... but even you admit that defaulting to this pattern isn't ideal and would require a band to work around them at the end of your post.

Second, my later paragraph is explaining objectively why "reverse la pompe" isn't ideal, because I wanted to give clear feedback. Not because I'm gate keeping creativity. I didn't tell him how to keep 2 & 4 "crisp, clear, and consistent." That would be my opinion, and a discussion akin to "what accent is the best."

Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Posts: 874

Christophe thanks for the clarification.

On a side note I don't think of myself as passive aggressive, that would be a step up from my typical aggressive personality...:)...

Buco

I'm still confused about this whole thing. In the audio example that @Rip posted there's nothing reversed. Here's a chunk slowed down without the melody:

What's reversed here, I don't get it?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel