DjangoBooks.com

Who makes handmade gypsy guitars?

Comments

• denk8denk8 ✭✭✭
    Jon,

How many Selmacs have you built? Where do you distribute them?
  • jon skyjon sky New
    Hi again
    In the aprox. 7yrs as apprentice,then assistant @Collins Guitars.Many a long hour Micheal spent studying and mapping the maccafferri .We must have built 35 in total including 2 of the famed resonator selmac guitar we even built a favino with a removeable trap door type access on the back so a pickup manufacture could perfect placement of the piaso pickup they designed for "Gypsy Oval" hole models where getting your hand in there is impossible.I make all kinds of guitars including electrics.I dont distribute. Im a "One Off " builder .All my guitars are unique from each other.Depending on the treatments ordered by the player.I do put truss rods in some gypsy models and do bolt on as well.All bodys are to spec with strict attention to detail.The models with "American Style necks" for lac of a better term are much cheaper than the vintage repro's.Most of my guitars are now going to be taken to the 12th frett.I have a classical ready . A 000 nick lucas gib style not quite done.Ive applied freeplate tuning and an inovated bribge design with scalopped bracing.In the Wings.(2) - j45 ,(2)- 000's ,(1)- Favino and (5)- maccaffarii oval hole's 80% done waiting for a home
    jOn sKy
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    just came across this guy. it seems he has all of the garcia's in his camp as well as tchavalo (who we know plays everyone's guitars) and some of the other sages of the paris scene.

Morgan Briant

http://www.myspace.com/briantmorgan

[schnipp]

salut to Lucie, who we met last night in Glasgow where she's been studying guitar-making, she's now off to Paris to work as an apprentice to Morgan Briant.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gusloly1/videos

http://www.morganbriant-guitares.com/

-Andy-
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    I really like Shelly Park guitars. She is easy to work with - and will accommodate special requests. Most other luthiers build what they build and will not do overly custom work. She will.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • http://www.zimnicki.com/gypsy_main.html

Have no idea about his selmers but his archtops are pretty good
  • w3hsw3hs Chicago
    By any chance does anyone know if the luthiers on the list will make custom made guitars? Smaller necks, etc?
  • dmin7thdmin7th ✭✭
    w3hs wrote:
    By any chance does anyone know if the luthiers on the list will make custom made guitars? Smaller necks, etc?
    I just replied to your other thread as you were deleting it. :)

What are you playing now? The neck on my Dupont Nomade is noticeably smaller and more comfortable (for me anyway) than either of my Gitanes (a D500 and DG300). Have you already tried other guitars than the one(s) you currently have?
  • w3hsw3hs Chicago
    dmin7th wrote:
    w3hs wrote:

What are you playing now? The neck on my Dupont Nomade is noticeably smaller and more comfortable (for me anyway) than either of my Gitanes (a D500 and DG300). Have you already tried other guitars than the one(s) you currently have?

Currently I am playing a Paris Swing as I have not earned the right to play anything super nice...yet. I haven't tried anything else yet so I can't really say but it was more of a question for future reference as I plan on saving up for a new guitar in a year or two. I have fairly small hands, so chords like C 6/9 chords (the thumb over the 8th version) is an extreme pain to play.
  • w3hsw3hs Chicago
    dmin7th wrote:
    w3hs wrote:

Currently I am playing a Paris Swing as I have not earned the right to play anything super nice...yet. I haven't tried anything else yet so I can't really say but it was more of a question for future reference as I plan on saving up for a new guitar in a year or two. I have fairly small hands, so chords like C 6/9 chords (the thumb over the 8th version) is an extreme pain to play.

Anything you would recommend?
  • Marek1000Marek1000 New
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2

I think, here is almost all manouche luthiers of the world, who have a website.
    Country and characteristics sorting!
    http://manouche-guitar.com