DjangoBooks.com

A Downstroke Dillema...

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited July 2007 Posts: 551
    So nice he had to post twice.

Cantzon, you make me feel so warm and flamey. Maybe we could shorten your name to cant, as in according to Webster:The use of religious phraseology without understanding or sincerity; empty, solemn speech, implying what is not felt; hypocrisy.

You've proven yourself to be very good at backpedaling. First it was 'a few', downgraded from 'many' classical players (think GJ is garbage), and now you're using words like 'inferior', 'completely antiquated', 'didn't bother', 'severely limited' and trying to pass them off as clinical observation and not value-laden judgments. Good work!
    If you want to just play Django "prewar" and use a "Selmer Maccaferri" type guitar and be some kind of Django petrified jazz manouche clone, I would recommend the rest stroke (I've even read you should use only two fingers while playing his solos, as though Django wouldn't have done anything to have all his fingers back. Maybe you should buy some butane and orchestrate your own caravan fire to be really authentic). This sort of imitation is not flattering to Django memory and I think, pure silliness.
    Ho hum....more Cant from the Cantzon.
    I would recommend alternate picking unless you want to ignore the last 50 years in jazz and the invention of the amplifier.
    Wait...he's beginning to get it!
    And yes, you can get a powerful and beautiful sound on an acoustic guitar with alternate picking. Check out the Al Dimeola's instructional tape by REH Video (Warner Brothers Publishing). You can argue with his content or musical ideas but not with his superb technique.
    Nevermind...you know, I once saw a DVD by Esteban...no, I was dreaming...
    Toward the end of [Django's] life he was upset that people couldn't or wouldn't accept his new form of playing, just like Hendrix, Coltrane and other great musicians and painters.
    Totally untrue. The problem was people already accepted it and it was moving along fine without him. Likewise, people still liked Hendrix, he just didn't want to burn his guitar anymore.
    The same could be said for Bob Dylan and folk music, or Hendrix and the blues.
    I guess he should have thought it over and used his pinky for those 2 whole note bends. Maybe he would have made it into the Cantzon House Of Greatness where no one resides.
    Live in the true spirit of Django. Buy this wonderful book. Learn the solos. Study the content of the solos and the PLEASE...go somewhere NEW, beautiful and completely, unexpected with it the way Django would have.
    THANK YOU OH MASTER!!!!
    Oh yes, and I promise to use a metronome, like I haven't heard that bit of advice 50 times from 30 different places. The only problem is that since any correct note is from a pre-defined pattern, improvisation doesn't exist!
    I will never be an authentic Gypsy. Maybe the guy in Wisconsin thinks he can pull it off. Best wishes to him.
    In the postmodern world of the 21st century, we are all Gypsies my friend, but I'll take this as a compliment. And by the way I do consider myself to be part Gypsy - I figure anyone who's ancestors shared the lower rungs of society in the same place for 900 years must have some common DNA somewhere, for better or worse. :wink:

Waiting for some more gems from the Great Cantzon!

- E
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    Hey Elliot,
    I'm not talking to you.

My advice about the metronome was to someone who specifically asked about how to practice. And it is a "gem" of advice that too many new guitarists neglect.

There's really not much point in your being rude and resorting to ad hominem attacks. This is a forum where ideas are discussed. If you don't like it when people express ideas different than your own please leave the discussion group.

As for your being from the lower depths of the power chain...Get real. You are from Wisconsin. I gather that you own an expensive guitar. When I was ten and lived in Bogota, Colombia I saw kids my own age living in cardboard boxes. My girlfriend was a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroun and witnessed children whose parents had died of AIDS and who were starving to death. So don't sit back from the conforts of your home in Wisconsin and tell me about being a poor Gipsy. Count your blessings that you can get fat, play a nice guitar, and spend your days posting obnoxious responses vis your personal computer.

I could just refer to you as Elliosshole but I think it's pretty lame to modify people's names in order to insult them.

As for "cant" well I've been playing guitar for 20 years and have been teaching for ten. I can play like Tal Farlow one moment, Pat Martino the next, and then without skipping a beat detune and crank out some Pierre Bensusan. I also play classical and have studied with two of the best players in the States. I can even play like Tony Rice as I have been known to do when I visit my home in South Carolina.

Beyond all of that I speak Spanish, English, a bit of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. I currently live and teach in Jeju Do, South Korea.

My guess off the top of my head is that you probably can't do a lot of things that I can do. So don't condescend to me. I might just show up with a guitar in hand and embarrass you.

To the others in this forum, my apologies for having to put Elliot in his place but he has insulted me and is turning this otherwise excellent forum into a hostile territory for his own simplistic ad hominem attacks based on his own insecurities.

From here out I strongly suggest that Elliot send his e-mails directly to me and spare everyone else his rude rantings.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited July 2007 Posts: 551
    The Great Cantzon speaks again, this time as self appointed moderator.

Obviously you have no idea what ad hominem means. I am only commenting on what you have been saying. You are the one who is attacking mine and virtually everyone else's abilities and technique and calling personal names, like 'jackass'.

And what you've dribbled is certainly cant, as far as Gypsy Jazz is concerned. By the way, we are here to learn about Gypsy Jazz, not get advice and pronouncements from someone who's interest is incidental at best.

How many more threads are you going to corrupt with your narcissistic and off-topic nonsense which is totally antithetical to the purpose of this forum?

- E
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    edited July 2007 Posts: 134
    Wait a second- a few days ago you ask about rest stroke technique:

viewtopic.php?t=3355
    am unaware of exactly what it is describing w/ regard to using a pick and playing Django type stuff. Does it have something to do with either anchoring or not anchoring the wrist near the bridge or does it refer to something else.

So you have zero experience actually working with the technique, and now you are an expert making pronouncements? Whatever your other experiences are, that's just ignorant and the fastest way to make enemies around here.

I suggest making opinions about DiMeola and classical, if that's your area of experience, to people who care to talk about that stuff, somewhere else. And the self-congratulations- start your own board! :roll:
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    In the immortal words of Monty Python: "Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who."
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    well I've been playing guitar for 20 years and have been teaching for ten. I can play like Tal Farlow one moment, Pat Martino the next, and then without skipping a beat detune and crank out some Pierre Bensusan. I also play classical and have studied with two of the best players in the States. I can even play like Tony Rice as I have been known to do when I visit my home in South Carolina.

Beyond all of that I speak Spanish, English, a bit of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. I currently live and teach in Jeju Do, South Korea.
    Yeah... but Can you Gypsy pick? :lol::lol::lol:
  • chip3174chip3174 New
    OK I really didn't want to get involved in all this but I couldn't let this go by:

Cantzon said:
    WARNING!: Doing "Giant Steps" with the rest stroke can cause a brain aneurism, so please, don't try it without proper supervision.

Here's Maestro Andreas and he seems to do pretty well doing rest stroke on Giant Steps:

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify...that quote above is actually from the review that Cantzon was quoting.

best,
    Jack.
  • BillyBobBillyBob Graham, WaNew
    Cantzon,
    You make skinning a cat sound like it's a bad thing!
    Just make sure you save the guts for strings on the classical.

But seriously...
    Good points you make about style. I am a classical/blues rock player that is switching over. I will adhere to the "dogmatic" technique of rest stroke picking while I am studying it to glean the best of what it has to offer. Mr. Horowitz even describes in his book what it is and isn't good for. After I get a good handle on the technique, I'll bastardize it to fulfill my needs. Or maybe not.
    My point is, try to learn the style at it's purest form first, then weed out the parts you don't like.
    Just your average Djoe.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that someone posted a video of Andreas in this thread. I say that because I always think of players like him when the violent gypsy picking vs. alternate arguments pop up. Guys like Andreas, Bireli, and Dennis Chang for that matter, are people I've seen who seem to have an excellent grip on both of those picking techniques. It really does reinforce the idea that any given technique is going to have its strengths and weaknesses. These are great players who, for a myriad of different reasons, will employ one technique or the other, whether it's an issue of the instrument, the tune, or the phrase etc. Because one technique or the other will give them a more desirable result at that moment.

I remember the phenomenal Stephane Wrembel playing some really cool ideas where he employed alternate picking because it worked better for him. He said he likes to gypsy pick for most things, but there are a few ideas which he feels better playing using other solutions. Stephane also mentioned that if it had been Stochelo playing the same phrase he probably would have executed it with the straight gypsy technique, I'm sure the phrase sounds good in either of their hands.

Even Wawau Adler mentioned in his master class that he prefers to do those three octave chromatic runs using alternate picking, with his hand anchored on the bridge. For me that phrase would be too hard to nail with alt picking, but it works for Wawau. He also wasn't really advocating that people should play it the way he does, he mentioned Bireli as someone who would play it using gypsy picking. I think he just wanted to let people know that there are different valid ways to do things.

Everyone's going to have their own relationship to right hand technique, and I think there are a lot of cool things about gypsy Picking that aren't obvious at first glance, and are really hard to verbally articulate anyways. I'll bet there are really cool discoveries that come with seriously working on any type of picking technique. So little time, so much to learn, oh well.