DjangoBooks.com

Selmer #607

Comments

• pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    This is just fantastic stuff. Can you say something about how the guitar was set up? Did each player have their own set up, or did they just play it "as is?"

Thanks -- this really is a wonderful project.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • selmer607selmer607 Paris FranceNew Selmer #607
    Hi Paul,

thanks!

there was no specific setup for each player, actually the whole idea is to have the exact same setup for each solo player so you can hear by yourself the variations in tone & sound.

For instance Noé Reinhardt played the Selmer closer to the bridge on "Vette", which led to a dramatically different tone than for instance Rocky Gresset than plays really lower on the guitar (as you can see on the video).

Cheers

André
    Sébastien Giniaux - Mélodie des Choses
    From jazz guitar to world music, paintings and poetry.
    Web Site : www.sebastienginiaux.com
    FaceBook | MySpace | YouTube

Selmer #607
    Web Site : http://www.selmer607.com
  • NakNak New
    I had the great pleasure of meeting and hearing Noe Reinhardt play on my last trip to Paris. Super nice guy and an amazing player. The restaurant was practically empty so it was like getting a private show. He was playing with David Gastine who's a great rhythm player and vocalist. I was surprised to find that there wasn't much info about Noe on the web but I think that will change soon. Here's a clip I found on-line of him jamming with Adrien Moignard.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    I cannot understand why more people haven't posted incredibly enthusiastic responses to this project and the frightening talent involved. We all love Stochelo, Bireli, Angelo etc, well here is the next generation of superb guitarists. These are musicians who are standing on the developments of the afore mentioned older generation of 'gypsy jazz' heavyweights and bringing fresh innovation. This is an incredibly exciting time for fans of this music as these guitarists have only just become fully developed and mature. We have heard little from them until now.

Adrien, Sebastien, Rocky........

You guys are as exciting as it gets, you are artists not copyists and therefore proper, serious musicians. For the tiny island of 'gypsy jazz', within a post modern,indifferent and apathetic sea, these musicians are the equivalent of a critical stage of musical development akin to be-bop or free jazz.

Wake up and smell the coffee.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I totally agree: this is finally some fresh stuff and Rocky Gresset is just too good to believe! Not to turn down Giniaux's playing (which is brilliant), but in terms of sound, you can really tell the difference Gypsy Picking does on a Selmer in comparison to Alternate Picking ( incidentally, isn't the guitar in Giniaux's take slightly out of tune?) . Anyhow it's fantastic to see an old instrument being a vehicle for such hot young players, and what a vehicle! This must be the best sounding Selmer I ever heard and one with a perfect neck too!
  • selmer607selmer607 Paris FranceNew Selmer #607
    Humm... I see what you mean, but I'm not sure you can make a direct comparison here. On the videos Rocky is playing pure Django mid-tempo swing ("Swing 48"), whereas Sébastien - if you're referring to "Rue du Languedoc" (the video) - is chorusing on a slow, ballad-style tune, with more open chords... Then maybe a lighter tone and picking seems to be more appropriate (only my opinion).

I'm glad you're enjoying it anyway !

Cheers

André
    Sébastien Giniaux - Mélodie des Choses
    From jazz guitar to world music, paintings and poetry.
    Web Site : www.sebastienginiaux.com
    FaceBook | MySpace | YouTube

Selmer #607
    Web Site : http://www.selmer607.com
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    You got a point there, Andrè. Incidentally I'm an alternate picker (most of the times!) and definitely not an integralist long as Gypsy Picking is concerned. And yet, when I hear people like Rocky Gresset... ouch!

Bravo and keep up the good job!

Franco
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    I think sebastiens tone, in this video and whenever I have heard him live is really well controlled and warm.

Can I also just say how kick ass Adrien's playing is!!!

Impressions is amazing!

I think these guys are all "little genius's" (to borrow Rocky's words)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I saw Sebastien in Paris and he was definitely using gypsy picking, just sometimes, when he's going for a lighter tone and more modern sound and phrasing he would change to alternate and sweeps.
    In fact on that video I believe he's playing mostly downstrokes and gypsy picking with only a few bits of the more modern approach.
    Amazing player with great ideas.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Sebastien is indeed a wonderful talent. When he was here in Portland he did me the honor of playing a concert on one of my guitars and allowing me to use brief snippets of sound on my website (still under development)

What amazed me is that he was so technically proficient and yet played with passion. From the first note to the last - just perfect - and yet not at all sterile.

This was how he began the concert: Came out on stage - sat - chopped two chords - signalled to the soundman to raise his monitor - chopped two more chords - nodded at the soundman - closed his eyes for about two seconds and then hammered this intro to some great old French melody. No warmup at all - prior to coming on stage he'd been out on the back patio of the venue smoking and signing albums. Straight cold and he pulls this out. You can literally hear that he is still getting settled in his chair as he's playing it. Simply phenomenal talent.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.