DjangoBooks.com

Gitane D500 NYLON

Comments

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested in the nylon string version...
    nearly bought one of the early Mexican made Dell Artes

And so... when are we going to see a 12 fret D hole of a higher quality than the D500 (steel string)

I think the line is oversaturated with 14 fret Oval holes

and though the 320 is nice I am not looking for a long scale 14 fret D
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    frater wrote:
    In the meantime, should somebody get close enough to him, please whisper in his ear the word "Weissenborn"...

not gonna happen John Pearse bought the name or more so stole it sorta well ok he registered the trademark and the bone head contracted it with to Goldtone. So no Weissen anything. hawaiian acoustic or some such is the closest you can get to it. he does enforce the trademark.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Bohemian wrote:
    And so... when are we going to see a 12 fret D hole of a higher quality than the D500 (steel string)

I think the line is oversaturated with 14 fret Oval holes

Yeah, I'm with you, if you think about it most of the early period "pre war" Django stuff was done on a 12 fretter Macaferri... so a lot of what we now think as the classic tone didn't come from a Selmer.
    I believe the "Limehouse blues", "Mystery Pacific", "Liebestraum #3" and all that period was before the oval hole, wasn't it?

Unfortunately I don't think the D 500 sounds anything like the original Macaferris... I have never played one but I think they must have been much, much brighter with a lot less bass, and a drier sound as well, just judging from the sound of the early recordings, like "Dinah" Man! that really sounds bright and piercing, doesn't it?

I'd love to have something like the new Jorgenson's Gitanes in a 12 fret.

That nylon string does looks interesting though...
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Yeah that was my feeling too, the D500 was the frist Gypsy Jazz style guitar i owned and whilst it does have a GJ twang to it, it does'nt sound quite right to me. As you say it has a little to much boominess to it which i don't hear with genuine D-holes.

However i really liked the feel of the neck and the 12th fret to body on the D500 and for the price its hard to knock it. Maybe Saga Gitane will do an upgraded version of the D500 at some point.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I hesitate to bring this up for fear of riling the anti-Manouche contintent, but Manouche has been making a nylon sring Concert model for some time now. I haven't heard it, though, so I can't speak for how it sounds. Based on the other guitars I have played, likely better than a Gitane, but at a much dearer price.

BTW, several among us have been curious about the new Asian Del Artes. I heard Kruno play an oval hole last week, both acustically at his house and amplified at a club. It wasn't bad unamplified, although not as loud as some guitars, but I was astonished at how crisp and clear it was amped up. Weaker in the bass register, as you'd expect, but pretty impressive mids and highs. A pretty good gigging guitar, at least in Kruno's capable hands. I will try to find out more about the model, but I think it was the cheap one that Michael sells for Ca. $700.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    I hesitate to bring this up for fear of riling the anti-Manouche contintent, but Manouche has been making a nylon sring Concert model for some time now. I haven't heard it, though, so I can't speak for how it sounds. Based on the other guitars I have played, likely better than a Gitane, but at a much dearer price.

Well, that's the deal ... there aren't any nylons out there under a $1K. The Concert model looks great, and I've heard some good things about it ... I don't doubt that it's worth the price, but still ...

It'll be cool to finally have a Nylon within the reach of a working musican's budget! I can only hope that Cigano will put out one!!! :idea:

:wink:
  • gadjojazzgadjojazz where the fun isNew
    I googled Gitane Nylon Strings and found this thread. I actually now have the prototype pictured above and have found it to be a great guitar in an acoustic jam session - it is louder than most steel strung Maccs!!

I borrowed a Manouche prototype Concert as well as another Gitane Maple prototype and ended up doing a bit of R&D for both companies. As I have an original Concert Selmer I am able to compare them first hand. I will write up the full story of the return of the nylon (actually gut) strung Macc for Just Jazz Guitar if anyone wants more information.

Check out the picture of the three newbies (L-R Gitane rosewood, Gitane maple, Manouche) plus a picture of my original to prove it isn't a photoshop job!

Andy
    WOW!!!

Oh, yeah, gadjojazz! More info! Details! Reviews! Pics! Clips! Etc!!!
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    For Weissenborns go see Bill Asher, he made mine & it is out of this world... Admittedly it wasn't in the price range Saga would probably produce, but still worth every penny, if not more. If you want summit cheap, what's wrong with the Gold tone ones? Anyone?
    pinkgary wrote:
    For Weissenborns go see Bill Asher, he made mine & it is out of this world... Admittedly it wasn't in the price range Saga would probably produce, but still worth every penny, if not more. If you want summit cheap, what's wrong with the Gold tone ones? Anyone?

Are you talking about nylon-strung grande bouches? The Weissenborns I know are usually lap steels? :?: Gold Tone? :?: