DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo "How I Learned" support group...?

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    adrian wrote:
    Elliot wrote:
    However to be clear they are unpublished, low budget Kinko products, and the price they come at constitute the most expensive learning material I and probably anyone else have ever purchased.

A $30 book/CD combo is the most expensive learning material you and "probably anyone else" have ever purchased? C'mon, now. That's a bit of a stretch.

Adrian

At two dollars a page? Really? Let's get real just for a second. What other 'book' is that expensive?

Maybe for sheet music with ASCAP tithing perhaps...but the material seems very good - I did say that twice before - so carry on.

And bones, it isn't the fact that they don't come with a glossy cover, it is that they are pictured as if. As for being 'thankful to the 'pros', I'll leave the idolatry to you.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Elliot wrote:
    adrian wrote:
    A $30 book/CD combo is the most expensive learning material you and "probably anyone else" have ever purchased? C'mon, now. That's a bit of a stretch.
    Adrian
    At two dollars a page? Really? Let's get real just for a second. What other 'book' is that expensive?
    What other book has that much usable material per page? Any book of licks and phrases will probably take 10-12 pages to present what Gonzalo gives you in one.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    edited March 2011 Posts: 551
    Klaatu, I like you but I don't know what you mean. To me it all seems a bit confusing, and basically adds up to one guy's sojourn. As such it is very interesting, but is he saying that one approaches it all on a song-by-song basis? Between what he comments on, which can be divided into straight applied book theory, standard GJ licks applied to the changes and the ones that are specific to the particular song, I can't tell why a particular phrase should be any one of these and not another one (or two).

Also, how much of the thinking he encourages and presents in the form of notes should I be doing ahead of time? Or can I just go by applying the correct scales and arps and do the rest by what my ear tells me at the time I'm playing? I really can't figure this out from the material.

So basically I feel like I'm overhearing somebody else's lesson when I read this stuff..

(Btw, if you want solos to work out on, you have to try the Angelo's Gypsy Guitar the Secrets. It will grow hair on your chest. give you cloven hooves and put pointed horns on your head, they're that diabolical, lol.)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thanks, Elliot, I like you, too!

I don't know, maybe you're worrying too much about it. I think what Gonzalo wants you to do is simply start by learning the solo all the way through at whatever speed is required to get it down correctly, and take all the time needed to you get it right, even if that means slowing it down to half speed or less and spending weeks with it. Speed can come later. By playing it over and over, the phrases and their connections begin to fall easily under your fingers. Later, you go back and read the analysis to see why certain things work the way they do, or where else you can apply them. You probably will never use the solo as written in your actual playing, but the various pieces should become part of your vocabulary, to apply anywhere they fit. It would be hoped that it causes your playing to improve over time. Mine did (I think). I used to struggle with arpeggios, trying to learn them from phrase- and lick-oriented books, and now they are coming much more naturally.

Anyway, that's my understanding of what he's getting at. If the method doesn't work for you, then stick with what does. Chacun à son goût! (That's French for "chacun à son goût.)
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey E,

I wouldn't call it idolatry, I call it respect. I'm no great player but I do know what it took for the pros to get to that level. Some amount of talent combined with dedication and a LOT of time.

If they are willing to share some of their hard earned knowledge with someone like me who doesn't have the time, talent or dedication (just the interest) then I'm happy to pay them for it and I don't care if they write it down on a piece of scrap paper or just show me and not write it down at all.

I'm happy to support the people at the top of the genre. They deserve it!

Just my 2 cents.
  • gonegone New
    Thats nothing!!! how about the fact that there is typo ON THE COVER OF THE FREAKING BOOKS!!!!

Gon
    gone wrote:
    Thats nothing!!! how about the fact that there is typo ON THE COVER OF THE FREAKING BOOKS!!!!

Gon
    Damn right! That's part of the added value!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • BonesBones Moderator
    That's what you call 'character' :-)
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .......People learn to play musical instruments thru different "mixes" of sensory inputs. These three main "instructional" inputs are Hearing, Vision, and Touch(playing). Those of you who feel "cheated" by Gonsalo's lesson material need to consider placing more emphasis on adding other sensory input medium! Buy DVD Visual/Audio format instructional material AND/OR make a commited search for other musicians to jam with!
    ......Jam On, Rocky
    Listen, I don't want to make love to the guy, just get some GYPSY JAZZ instruction! :evil: :lol::lol:

All, right, I'm just trying to be funny. But I said hello to him when he was passing through Madison and if I had already gotten ''volume two'' (a 'volume' usually has to have some volume, doesn't it??) I would have driven him to Smart Sound with some of my ACSAP union boys and re-recorded it.

Just kidding, Gonzo, you're okay...I think...