DjangoBooks.com

Django's Pick Revealed!!

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Hello !

So there is an only one photo were Django's pick is in evidence and it is that one :

reinhardt2.jpg

Of course Django's plectrum is in the strings ... :wink:

A+
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I noticed today that the Maison Bonnet web site has been updated with a specific section on traditional guitar picks that would have been used with the likes of the old classics such as Selmers, Favino's , Busato's or Di Mauro. I found it very interesting, i must admit i use my Maison Bonnet pick almost exclusively now. Well worth a look if you have'nt seen the page.

http://art-ecaille.com/turtle-shell-EN/plectrum.htm
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    dennis wrote:
    alain antonietto in france has one of django's picks too

If somebody can come up with a decent picture of that pick (front, back and sides) with a measuring device next to it (in Centimeters, not inches) you can have Wegen Picks make a custom copy.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    According to Sam Adams who met Django at a recording session in 1946:-
    "The plectrum Django uses is the usual pear-shaped pick, of medium size, extremely thick and with a heavy bevel".

Adams also said:-
    "The strings were of extremely light gauge and when I played a few chords I was amazed at the lowness of the action". - He said Django did not carry any spare strings with him and when one broke during the session, he had to get a replacement from one of the rhythm guitarists.
    He said Django did not carry any spare strings with him and when one broke during the session, he had to get a replacement from one of the rhythm guitarists.

This is consistent with other stories about Django. It seems his brother Joseph more or less took care of everything, acting like a guitar roadie, including tuning Django's guitar. Django simpy didn't care about his guitars is seems. They were just a tool, no more, no less.

Anyway, without proper measurement of the pick you're not sure of anything. Like 'extremely thick'. Compared to what? I haven't got a clue as to what a standard pick looked like in those days for instance.
    Strings: as far as I know Django used standard Argentina gauge 10.
    Not extremely thin by today's standard. In Rockmusic gauge 8 is used sometimes. a gauge unheard of when I started out (you guessed it, I started very young).
    This week I noticed a CD from the Gitanes series called Jazz in Paris. It has a small picture of Django on the back, and his pick can be clearly seen from the side. Judging from the picture it is at least 5-6 mm thick.
    I have the Saga collection too, box collection 'Retrospective 1934-1953' and as you say the last photo in the collection shows that the thickness of his plectrum is huge much thicker than a 3.5 mm plectrum. The photo i am refering to is on p.75 and their is also a saxophonist and double bass player in the black and white photo. I think the side comments state that this photo was taken in 1951. I'm going to agree with you here the photo is perhaps one of the best i have seen highlighting Django's pick. It must be at least 6-7 mm thick. Also i note he is using a Stimmer 48.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
    Not sure if this photo will be allowed but thought i'd put it up to show the details.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    I must be blind, but I can barely see it? It sounds as if you guys discern it quite easily.

-Daniel
    Unfortunately this is not the picture I was referring to. The one I mean shows Django in a white jacket, alone. It's impossible to determine if there is a Stimer mounted. Seems like the picture was made in a dressing room. I will try to make a scan of the cover, but this may take a while as I do not own the CD myself.
    By the way, with 35 years of music making behind me I have learned not to jump to conclusions that easily.