DjangoBooks.com

Django's Pick Revealed!!

1234568»

Comments

• altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    @EricLopez I went back to the site and I can't find it anymore, either. I followed the instructions and shaped the pick to my liking, with 120 grit, if my memory serves correctly. I found that wrapping it around a small piece of wood gave it stiffness to add control to the shaping process. Then I worked through finer grits until the newly shaped tip was as smooth as I wanted. All in all it turned out to be a wonderful pick.

However, I no longer use it. This whole pick obsession is gonna kill me. Alligators and blunt objects for use on mandolins fill my dreams and consume me.
  • A bit off topic but I have used Osage Orange for bridge inserts. Would love to get a chunk to make some bridges with.

I suspect it might be a really good choice of bridge wood
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • DaveycDaveyc
    I have a stash of Osage orange that I cut 3 years ago. I had it quarter sawn as much as I could. The thickness of the boards are 1 in. Are talking flattop bridges?
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Wow,,that's so cool! I have bought a 'three-ator' (3mm pick) from Michael recently and it has a wonderful warm smooth attack with its rounded & bevelled edges. I would really recommend it highly.
  • hmmmm I missed @Daveyc 's post Yes flat top. Be interesting to find a blank of Osage to make a whole bridge from Love to try it
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JTKJTK New

Make one out of coconut shell using a Dremel and a belt sander. I did. They sound great while the edge gets worn to the point I give up playing with them. One coconut equals a half dozen picks.

Buco