DjangoBooks.com

Django's Pick Revealed!!

Comments

• KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    Lollo Meier told me. He told me I was using the same pick. It was just a casual remark he made.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    it looks like he's using a wegen in or some other white pick in a lot of videos.. pretty thick looking..
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Hello!

It is interesting to know that Stochelo Rosenberg uses a big city (Wegen) to play and I think that speed and sound are good enough for all of us round here. I played once with him recently and he had no plectrum so I offered him a big city and he said "that's what I use!".

bigcitypicks.jpg

I like less the other school that plays with the Dunlop reversed (played upside down) and use it flat on the strings. It gives a tic-tic plastic sound such the one Bireli has and it is the only thing I do not appreciate from Bireli's works.

The big city is very easy to hold even if it looks small and it is very rigid but will be smooth on the strings it is the way to work on Django's sound.

I used prehistoric 5mm thick mamout plectrums before and definitely dropped them.

Best
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Spatzo,
    Do you use the 2.2mm or the 1.8mm Big city?
    Which one did Stochelo play with?
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Stochelo uses the 1,8mm Big City !

Best
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    This whole thing about Django's pick is ridiculous. He probably used tons of them (including a broken piece of comb for a concert, at the last minute) so the drawing makes no sense, at least to me. And it won't reveal anything.

The best way to be sure about picks is to play with thin ones, like Biréli does. If you can play with that, life is just easier then... The Big City picks are actually pretty good and powerful, and they are way thinner than the other, bigger models (5 mm).

But the player has to adapt to the pick, not the other way around.
    Have any of you tried V picks? They come in various thicknesses and shapes. I have a few and they are all very nice. Here's a link to them:
    http://www.v-picks.com/VPickAcoustic.html
    BTW, I am not a spokesperson for the company, just a satisfied customer.
  • slicker37slicker37 New
    plectrums,,really i dont care as long as its at least 2mm thick,,who really cares,just play your guitars more then youll know better about the sound your making,the top guitarists change pick depending on what feels right at that moment. I;ve seen stochelo using a very thin stiff pick as well as birelli.What is great now seems stupid tomorrow,Shit who cares about djangos pick,he could play with a spachelor and still make his guitar sing.If anybodies interested i;m selling majic plectrums at £99 each,i promise they will make you play and sound better,Anybody?
    Thrilling Thread, and historically very interesting, but why try to replicate that pick for actual use?

Did it ever occur to you, that Django was before the current era of getting the equipment right and instead just worked on his playing skills?

Besides, every now and then, one loses one's picks, he might have used various picks.

That man would have sounded exceptional with a flamenco guitar and a coin as a pick as well, so maybe he just grabbed the nearest pick and played the s***t out of his guitar...

Greetings
    Squiddy
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    That man would have sounded exceptional with a flamenco guitar and a coin as a pick as well, so maybe he just grabbed the nearest pick and played the s***t out of his guitar...
    Quite often, he grabbed the nearest guitar and played the s***t out if it.